Nimi

Dev update #18: 1.3.0 - Lighting

23 minutes ago, ItzMichaelPhillips said:

Looks like they broke when the flattening happened with 1.13, block IDs and texture names were changed in the process. This'll be fixed in the next update.

5 minutes ago, __Mine__ said:

You say that like it's an easy thing to do...

Coding isn't easy. But ray tracing is possible in GameMaker. That's what I intended to express, sorry if it was misinterpreted.

Isn't ray tracing just tracking simulated photons and simulating how they interact with objects? Like, lets say a light source emits photons with momentum in all directions. They follow a line, and if it hits an object that is opaque it stops (which makes shadows), if it hits a transparent object, it has a percentage chance to be stopped based on the transparency, if it hits a reflective object it bounces off, etc? If it is then i'd think it would be possible.

28 minutes ago, Jake_28 said:

Isn't ray tracing just tracking simulated photons and simulating how they interact with objects? Like, lets say a light source emits photons with momentum in all directions. They follow a line, and if it hits an object that is opaque it stops (which makes shadows), if it hits a transparent object, it has a percentage chance to be stopped based on the transparency, if it hits a reflective object it bounces off, etc? If it is then i'd think it would be possible.

That's the deal, but because of that it is remarkably slow. I wrote an embryonic raytracer (really a raycaster) capable of drawing spheres (which comes quite easily with raytracing because math or something) with no shading. It ran on a single thread of my CPU and it was remarkably slow. MI would have to work with the same resources but also with a RAM limit (given my lack of knowledge on raytracers I'm not sure how that'd play out) and it'd have to render planes, cubes, textures, the new advanced lighting features and all that. Theoretically it'd be possible to use external libraries for some of that but that's not within Nimi's expertise and it'd probably be a pain to work on either way.

It's funny how many people seriously think adding ray-tracing is so trivial when in reality, not only is it beyond the scope of the program, but it would also very likely have to run on the CPU, of which GameMaker can effectively only use one core, which would make rendering too slow to make it worthwhile.

23 minutes ago, Spontaneous Explosions said:

Would other forms of reflections and lighting be the same case? Such as rasterization?

There are two forms of reflections that could be added if such a feature was to be considered. One would be specular highlights from light sources, the other would be screen-space reflections.

Are you making some improvements to keyframes? Graphics it's good,yeah! But keyframes in this program works wrong than in others. I tried to make animation in other programs and it looks smoother and easier than in mine-imator,because of keyframes
P.S. Sorry for my bad english

7 hours ago, HeYoNia said:

nobody gonna mention the fact that this may be Nimi's last project until he leaves?

???

Awesome, however, I would like to see something as basic as markers and being able to pin objects on the timeline finally added which would improve workflow alot. See:

7 hours ago, CRAZYKOKEBROZ said:

???

Dude said 1.3 may be his last project, pretty sad tbh but that's how life works.

though he probably wont quit until another dev takes his job.