One last request

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Having talked with both Heavenira and another guy named robochicken (on Skype at least), I think there is at least one more feature that we really, really need in MI: The graph editor. 

The graph editor is a feature in nearly any animation or video editing software. It allows you to modify the transitions between keyframes, meaning any transition, movement, anything at all, becomes possible. It's the reason why other programs have such smooth movements. Any Blender, Maya, C4D, AE, etc... users will know what I'm talking about.

Currently, we are constrained to a very limited set of transitions. While these will work in most cases, a lot of times something is needed that we do not have. In that case, the only option we have is to fake it, using linear transitions. However, this is still limited, and only creates the illusion of the desired effect.

However, if you add the Graph Editor, we could create any transition we could dream of. This means we could create perfect, flowing, dynamic movements easily, without all the hassle of doing it manually with a limited set of movements. It's something that we absolutely, definitely need, without a doubt.

So, @David, I would like to request this as the last major feature of Mine-Imator. It would be a huge leap forward, allowing us to create truly dynamic movements easily, and quickly.

PS: I know, I know, I just made a video saying we didn't need it, kill me. The truth is, we do need it. Drastically.

1 minute ago, yuricraft said:

oh and I want multiplayer so badly >.<

no.

Thankyou Poke,When the war Begins,I shall Allie my Closely Extinct Bee Units to take Revenge on the Cruel Humans that causeing our Extinction...Together with  your Beaver Kingdom,Humanity will be Extinct and the Earth will BEE Ours!!!! MUHAHAHA!!!

OK off topic..

But Seriously the options seems pretty Awesome! I would like Onionskin,But this in fact is pretty good.

2 minutes ago, blockerlocker said:

I remember this was suggested before, and I feel like I remember someone saying it wasn't possible due to gamemaker's limitations or something. I don't remember, but yes it would be a pretty awesome feature.

It was more like nobody noticed it.

And, when you think about it, the same was said of shadows, AO, and pretty much everything we have today. David's good at what he does.

30 minutes ago, KicksBrickster said:

Having talked with both Heavenira and another guy named robochicken (on Skype at least), I think there is at least one more feature that we really, really need in MI: The graph editor. 

The graph editor is a feature in nearly any animation or video editing software. It allows you to modify the transitions between keyframes, meaning any transition, movement, anything at all, becomes possible. It's the reason why other programs have such smooth movements. Any Blender, Maya, C4D, AE, etc... users will know what I'm talking about.

Currently, we are constrained to a very limited set of transitions. While these will work in most cases, a lot of times something is needed that we do not have. In that case, the only option we have is to fake it, using linear transitions. However, this is still limited, and only creates the illusion of the desired effect.

However, if you add the Graph Editor, we could create any transition we could dream of. This means we could create perfect, flowing, dynamic movements easily, without all the hassle of doing it manually with a limited set of movements. It's something that we absolutely, definitely need, without a doubt.

So, @David, I would like to request this as the last major feature of Mine-Imator. It would be a huge leap forward, allowing us to create truly dynamic movements easily, and quickly.

PS: I know, I know, I just made a video saying we didn't need it, kill me. The truth is, we do need it. Drastically.

Ive requested this before ;P

For some of the people that don't quite understand what the graph editor is and why it would be so useful, I'll try my best to explain it.

First, 3D animation works by creating a graph between two data values (position, rotation, or scale). The x-axis is time, and the y-axis is the data value. The animation interpolates the data on the graph and represents it as it is. Using transitions changes the graph which the program follows. The linear transition is the graph "y=x" or "f(x)=x", which has a slope of 1. Other transitions use different equations to make different movements depending on how the y and x axis correlate.

Being able to edit these graphs in an open interface, instead of just a graph per keyframe, and make them flow together would be extremely useful, as the current limitations of using different transitions are annoying. For example: using an "ease in and out" transition is useful for slower movements, but you really CAN'T flow them together, because every time it eases in and out, it comes to a complete stop. Being able to manually change this would be incredibly useful.

I don't think Transitions are as important as everyone makes them out to be, as much of a wild-card as they are.

If I could put one thing into M.I. (with limits in mind), it'd be a thing where two Objects can be Parented to two different things but will draw a line or a Texture between each other facing the Camera no matter what.

Imagine having a cube. Now imagine having another cube. Parent them to someone's left and right hands. Wherever you move them, there is a a flat line or 3D rod between them that stretches and shrinks and Rotates to be perfectly between both of them.

Well, make that line into a flat electricity texture (that you can animate frame by frame for maybe three looping frames) and you have a Raiden taunt. Make that texture into a chain, add some cuffs on the hands, and you have a shackled person with IK-like chains. Maybe David could even make little points on these things where you can bend and stretch them at their segment, and voila, you have a mace.

... That's literally it. An IK substitute with many uses, like saliva strings and dog leashes. I think it's brilliant (and original, for once), but I'm an idiot when it comes to software making.  :3 

... Oh yeah, and you can make the Cubes Invisible once you're done. Duh.

@KicksBrickster Tell me what you think about this. I'd tag David too, but I think he's seen that suggestion. I really think this could happen and maybe the concept can even be played around with.  :3 

Just now, Emanatronic said:

I don't think Transitions are as important as everyone makes them out to be, as much of a wild-card as they are.

If I could put one thing into M.I. (with limits in mind), it'd be a thing where two Objects can be Parented to two different things but will draw a line or a Texture between each other facing the Camera no matter what.

Imagine having a cube. Now imagine having another cube. Parent them to someone's left and right hands. Wherever you move them, there is a a flat line or 3D rod between them that stretches and shrinks and Rotates to be perfectly between both of them.

Well, make that line into a flat electricity texture (that you can animate frame by frame for maybe three looping frames) and you have a Raiden taunt. Make that texture into a chain, add some cuffs on the hands, and you have a shackled person with IK-like chains. Maybe David could even make little points on these things where you can bend and stretch them at their segment, and voila, you have a mace.

... That's literally it. An IK substitute with many uses, like saliva strings and dog leashes. I think it's brilliant (and original, for once), but I'm an idiot when it comes to software making.  :3 

... Oh yeah, and you can make the Cubes Invisible once you're done. Duh.

@KicksBrickster Tell me what you think about this. I'd tag David too, but I think he's seen that suggestion. I really think this could happen and maybe the concept can even be played around with.  :3 

Well, yes, this would be useful, you could do something like this by hand. The graph editor would be much more useful, allowing anyone to create smooth movements.

Still, I see why you want it.

Just now, KicksBrickster said:

Well, yes, this would be useful, you could do something like this by hand. The graph editor would be much more useful, allowing anyone to create smooth movements.

Still, I see why you want it.

Actually, you'd have to Parent a chain Texture to a Cube (or in this case a wrist) and then, literally frame by frame, move and stretch/copy the chain up and down and to and fro just to make it appear that the other end is perfectly attached to the other hand. It'd be a thousand times worse if you want nice bends in the chain. Could you imagine how much work would be required if the prisoner moved his arms all over the place?

With this feature, that'd be done in a second. We could make dynamic stuff for the first time ever.  :D 

Edited by Emanatronic