Unbiased Blender 2.69 shadows vs Mine-imator 1.0.0 demo

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Poll  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like the best?

• Blender
    • Mine-imator

Since the last topic like this was incredibly biased towards mine-imator (He didn't even properly render the image on blender) I decided to make another one that isn't biased.

The setup for each was the same for both. A lamp above and to the side of the village.

Mine-imator

SdkvE8e.png

Render time: 2 seconds

Blender (Cycles engine)

9QD5t2j.png

Samples: 90

Render time: 22 minutes 27 seconds

Edited by GLaDOSV_3

The shadows look way better in Blender, but seriously, those two softwares can't really be compared. Remember that Mine-imator was created by only one person and was created with Game Maker. What the rendering engine of Mine-imator really needs imho is some ambient occlusion just like Minecraft does.

when you think about it Mine-Imator is better even though the shadows in Blender are a bit better

Reasons:

Mine-Imator was made by 1 person, blender was made by a team yet the shadows nearly have the same quality for both

Mine-Imator is simpler when it  comes to high quality renders, for blender you need to add lamps and lighting on your own

By looks alone, I'd say Blender, but if I were to judge on more than that, I'd say Mine-imator. Come on guys, think about how much time Davve spent on this, and look how it turned out. He's just one man. Blender has like, a TEAM of people. So yeah. Mine-imator FTW.

By looks alone, I'd say Blender, but if I were to judge on more than that, I'd say Mine-imator. Come on guys, think about how much time Davve spent on this, and look how it turned out. He's just one man. Blender has like, a TEAM of people. So yeah. Mine-imator FTW.

i agree

What's being asked here is which program produces better quality images, not which program is more of a programming feat.

I really feel as if people are biased here just because David is one person. Yes, it's much more of a achievement for one person to make something like this, but that's not the question being asked here. I'd infer that GLaDOS just wants all of us honestly vote on which one actually looks better.

Also, I can't see either of the images. Would someone mind taking a puush of them?

I have a feeling that the lighting for MI was made in the same distance away. However this isn't fair to compare since it both of the lighting systems aren't photo identical. In fact, I would go on to say that the lighting in both engines are drastically different and would not be worth comparing.

MI 1.0.0's lighting system is more raw but well optimized, while Blender has a more smoothed lighting system but is poorly optimized. In the end, the cons and pros outweigh eachother very well so the choice just matters on opinion.