"Tagging" Forumers

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Want this added?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want this added?

• Yes.
    • I don't know, let's see what David thinks about it
    • No... I don't like this. (Reason in comments please)

Don't worry, I searched it up. First time this is being suggested, don't worry.

So my suggestion for the Forums is something called "Tagging"

What to do is really simple. At whatever point you want on the comment/topic, you could do an @ symbol (Pressing SHIFT + 2 on Windows, dunno what to do on Mac or Linux) and then their Forum name. Example:

Caeden117: Wow that is a really nice Wallpaper!

TheCoolGuy123_5: @Caeden117 Thanks!

Bob: @Caeden117 totally agree.

TheCoolGuy123_5: @Bob Thank you! It makes my day :D

As you can see, I got tagged Twice and Bob (Fake user) got Tagged once.

Every time someone Tags a Forumer (Example: @Caeden117), The tag get's hyperlinked to the Tagged Forumer's profile page. And the Tagged Forumer (In this case, me and Bob) will get a notification saying that they got tagged by the user (In this case I would get 2 notifications because TheCoolGuy123_5 (Fake user) and Bob (Another fake user) had tagged me.)

In the spoiler it's me trying to actually do it with BBCode. Just something random.

Caeden117: Such cool. One like for you

Bob: @Caeden117

Thanks!

Hope you like this suggestion! Leaving some feedback is always appreciated, as I can update this if I think some suggestions for this suggestion (Wat) is cool enough to make it in.

Please do the poll as well. Helps me think who likes it and not.

See you guys later!

~Caeden117

So I'm taking this like the Twitter @ thing... We already have a quote system though. I'd rather use this for status updates.

This would be too confusing to track the peoples posts. What if Person1 makes more than one post. Person2 replies to one of the two posts, but you don't know which post the person2 replied to... I'll give an example with John, Fred and Bob...

Bob: Very Cool!

John: @Bob Thanks

Bob: Very very cool!

Fred: @Bob So true!

You don't know which one of Bob's posts Fred was referring to. I think we should keep to the quote system for now. But, I would like this for status updates. 

Edited by ZZZZane

Not sure if this is possible, either way wouldn't it be easier to simply type the @ symbol as opposed to pressing 2-3 keys. Also, what is the point of the linking?

Check the GM forums. They can tag people in statuses and in posts.

Check the GM forums. They can tag people in statuses and in posts. 

you do know that david has to pay for the website, and this could be in a higher pack so :/ might be on current, idk current. but IP Board has like what... 4 differ packages? i would say david has 1 maybe 2? idk anyway, ZZZane's right

Edited by SubTheKidFTW

Not sure if this is possible, either way wouldn't it be easier to simply type the @ symbol as opposed to pressing 2-3 keys. Also, what is the point of the linking?

that, uh

pressing 2-3 keys is the @ symbol 

In a topic quotes alert people. It is usually forum normality and expectation that if you're aiming a reply to someone, you quote their post. In a status update you have made you get notifications to replies being made by users. If you reply to someone else 's status, thereafter any further replies, you get notifications of.

A BBCode called called [member ] exists where if you type the current forum name it creates a direct forum link to their profile. Perhaps their could be an option for users to receive notifications when the member BBCode is used for their name?

In a topic quotes alert people. It is usually forum normality and expectation that if you're aiming a reply to someone, you quote their post. In a status update you have made you get notifications to replies being made by users. If you reply to someone else 's status, thereafter any further replies, you get notifications of.

A BBCode called called [member ] exists where if you type the current forum name it creates a direct forum link to their profile. Perhaps their could be an option for users to receive notifications when the member BBCode is used for their name?

Wait what?

Test:

[member Ayhay]

Ayhay

Ayhay

Ayhay

This isn't possible. For example; look at 's name. It has a space in it. If you were to type "@Da X", it would only highlight "@Da", making it an unknown user to the forums.

There are ways to combat this. I would not have suggested the @Username as it can cause bugs. I would have recommended just using Quotes to separate them.