Remove the down-rep button for people who misuse it (suggestion)

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Removal  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Remove the down-rep button for people who misuse it?

Hey Guys!

I have yet another suggestion, but it's not a mine-imator suggestion.

People who down-rep too much should get a warning point and a removal of the down-rep button.

I think this would help in a lot of situations.

~Shah

Edited by AwesomeShah

The downrep feature should only be revoked to those who misuse it. To those who really misuse it can get it permanently taken away. However, I'm not sure if the forum software can handle this feature. It would need some coding in order to implement.

It can. Look at the Minecraft Forums, they have no down rep. The forums run the same software as this forum.

It can. Look at the Minecraft Forums, they have no down rep. The forums run the same software as this forum.

There is one crucial difference, theirs is heavily coded on the regular code. Mine-imator Forums runs IP.Board 3.4.6, while the Minecraft forums has coders on the team that add new features and remove features as well as tweak settings on the website and edit the format of the theme this way. Unless we have the same, it's not possible with the current limitations.

The downrep feature should only be revoked to those who misuse it. To those who really misuse it can get it permanently taken away. However, I'm not sure if the forum software can handle this feature. It would need some coding in order to implement.

That's what I said but in different words xD

How'bout no. Want to here why? Well...

1. People who abuse/misuse the downrep button shouldn't be punished like that. This is a community forum, and if someone decided to use the button, it's no big deal. I mean, rep isn't our LIVES, so why should we care?

Buuuuuuut.... (It's a big but (lol I said its a big butt)

Uburitto has a reasonable point.

1. People who abuse/misuse the downrep button shouldn't be punished like that. This is a community forum, and if someone decided to use the button, it's no big deal. I mean, rep isn't our LIVES, so why should we care?

Reputation is only a way to show those who have been making good posts, and have been producing good content. Also it's a way to show who is doing the converse of those things. I believe those who just give out - rep to specific people who they don't like deserve to be punished. On the flip side, I also believe those who give out + rep to people they like deserve the same fate.

Suggestions like this are a two-way street. If you want to show a double standard, I suggest this. Otherwise just leave it be.

People who abuse/misuse the downrep button shouldn't be punished like that. This is a community forum, and if someone decided to use the button, it's no big deal. I mean, rep isn't our LIVES, so why should we care?

I'm not saying the down-rep button should go forever, I'm saying it should go for a reasonable amount of time, if you misuse it too much, then a 72hr punishment. If you have down-repped more than 4 topics, a 24hr punishment. More than 8 topics, A 48hr punishment.

Also, removing the button isn't removing our lives.

What if someone makes an dumb post? You can downrep to show that you're not ok with it.

You could just make a friendly reply, not down-rep them.

A dumb post doesn't need to be down-repped.

Abuse or misuse, warning points will be given. If they can't learn their lesson, they will accumulate and they will be banned eventually. What they do after, either accept (how unfortunately rare) or flip out (how unfortunately frequent) is something we deal with when the time comes.

Delaying the inevitable for those who abuse/misuse by removing the feature (if at all possible, which Uber answered about quite well) may only invite them to find other ways to negatively affect posters and content.

Abuse or misuse, warning points will be given. If they can't learn their lesson, they will accumulate and they will be banned eventually. What they do after, either accept (how unfortunately rare) or flip out (how unfortunately frequent) is something we deal with when the time comes.

Delaying the inevitable for those who abuse/misuse by removing the feature (if at all possible, which Über answered about quite well) may only invite them to find other ways to negatively affect posters and content.

That is quite true. Maybe warning points are enough. Removing the privilege to down-rep won't really help.

Guest Rainin

I like the down rep button.

I keeps the stupid at bay.

Prepares to get down repped to hell

Removing down rep = remove up rep as well. Best solution ever.

Why? Cause noobs!

Hey, why you said noobs? I can say worse, my friend. But I'm just describing those people..

Well, why they're "noobs" as you say? Because:

Down rep: People just don't want to have a downrep at all, they will die if they do so - Some people just downrep any post - Some downreps cause of hating - Some downreps for no absolute reason.

Up rep: Rep shops - REP ME UP OR ZOMBIES EAT YOU - 1000000 rep for download! - Now smash that rep button! - And some people make those "Make you a skin" "Make a profile picture" just for rep, but they don't say it cause they'll get a warning point - OMG I GOT A REP UP! AND HERE'S A GIFT RIG! NOW REP UP MORE FOR MORE RIGS! - Duh I got bored.

There's more, but I can't think of. Probably removing both is the best.

Edited by CaptainMaxwell