Sunlight Range World Origin

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Question

Ok, I've completed a new animation. In the animation, there is a spaceship which continually moves along in one direction very slowly, but by the end of the 3 minutes, I needed to set the sunlight range to over 15 000 in order to preserve the shadows, because the spaceship had moved so far away. It decreased the quality and started giving me funny lines.

So, what I did was, I cut the animation in half, and relative to the position 0, 0, 0, I took the second half, and moved everything back so that it was closer to 0, 0, 0. I made sure everything was within the sunlight range of 8 000 from 0, 0, 0, and set the range to 8000. Obviously, the quality did get better, but now some of the shadows were missing.

This must mean that the world origin is not 0, 0, 0?

I'm really confused, and would appreciate the help. If you need more details with screenshots and etc, feel free to message me. I also don't know what I'm missing or if I'm doing anything wrong either, so please tell me so

5 answers to this question

I have stumbled upon a similar problem, not as severe since I can cover most of the visible scenario with a sunlight range of 5000, but when my characters were at the edge of the sunlight range, the shadows were getting really bad. With slow movements, the shadows would be jerky and move in a weird way specially visible on top of the characters faces and bodies. I have played with every shadow setting possible and with maximun shadow blur quality (64), sunlight buffer on very big and blur ammount at 240%, I can more or less deal with it even tho it annoys me that I still get those weird jumping shadows on top of characters with slow movements.

On 24/12/2015 at 4:30 PM, David said:

The sunlight renders from the world origin (0,0,0). If you get too far away, shadows stop appearing.
The next update will contain a setting to make the sunlight follow the camera.

Any idea on when will this feature be released? This cannot be added soon enough. I have so many cool ideas, but im limited in the size of the world because if I make the sunlight range too high the shadows start glitching.

But even if the sunlight range follows the camera, there is a problem, the objects that are far away, like a building or something part of the scenario, will not cast any shadows, so it decreases image quality... there must be a way around this?