Background Scenery and Depth of Field Help

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Question

So i got 2 things i need some help on 1 of my animations.

1: So im making this animation taking place in a npc village and i need some help getting from rid of the plain grass field on the ground. I tried adding scenery around the village but if i do it lags any pc i use for it. Any Suggestions?

2. So next is like a city fight scene. I got the lighting and scenery completed and no grass exposed but once i try the depth of field to give the background some blur it drops me down to 1-3 fpls and then i have problems turning it off. Can someone help me on this? 

13 answers to this question

1. Just add the scenery and untick it's visibility, when you want to render it just make is visible again. It wont look laggy when you render so don't worry about the lag

2. Depth of Field beats your Framerate behind a warehouse with a rusty pipe. It will always be laggy with DoF so don't keep render view on while your animating. (eve nwhen you don't have DoF

I prescribe a better computer. 

(Is there anything else you think may be causing you lag? Maybe too many characters or gargantuan Schematics? Too many Lights? Too many smooth edges? Too many Bends in your Settings? One "Reflection?"  (Camera and Surface Combination?)

You know you can reduce lag by hiding things until Render time.  :thumbsup:

1. Just add the scenery and untick it's visibility, when you want to render it just make is visible again. It wont look laggy when you render so don't worry about the lag

2. Depth of Field beats your Framerate behind a warehouse with a rusty pipe. It will always be laggy with DoF so don't keep render view on while your animating. (eve nwhen you don't have DoF

Alright!! Thanks Redcap and lad to see you animating again ; )

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and advice. 

For the immersion type, you can easily use other elements to make your scene compose well. A good trick is to use a panoramic image of an area in Minecraft, then apply it to a cylinder. Also remove the sky in the panorama. It's a bit of work but gives your scene the illusion of something bigger. And mainly, it has to look good for the camera.

If it looks too goofy when you see the cylinder, you may need to use DoF to hide it. Speaking of DoF

Simply put, DoF will chug your PC and is often recommend to use during the final render. Even beefcake PCs can lag with it due to gamemaker limitations.