Flickering

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Question

Hope this is the right forum for this...

So I decided to customize a character rig to have facial features, etc. and it looks fine up close (I even extended the objects out from the character and what not to prevent any bleeding), but when the camera gets a certain distance away the textures begin flickering.

Am I doing something wrong?

(I tried searching "flicker" and "flickering" on the forum, but couldn't find any topics related to this issue)

11 answers to this question

What was this called...like Z-bugging or something?I don't know.But this is a bug that's been around for a LONG time.I think somebody said that David would have to change alot of code or something to get this fixed.

And this would happen with custom textures and default textures.

But move the item like 0.05 back.

Edited by Pokekights

What was this called...like Z-bugging or something?I don't know.But this is a bug that's been around for a LONG time.I think somebody said that David would have to change alot of code or something to get this fixed.

And this would happen with custom textures and default textures.

But move the item like 0.05 back.

Z-Clipping

This problem has happened to me multiple times. If by 'textures' you mean the rigged area, (i.e, face) then most probably, your rigging materials, (blocks used to simulate mouth, eyelids, etc.) are too close to the skin. Therefore, when you zoom out, the textures run together, and flicker between the two at rapid intervals.

If by textures you mean the area with no rigged materials, no blocks-beneath-the-skin, then this is a glitch/bug in the system, as the other Users have specified.

Edited by ClokMaus

I know what you mean, it has nothing to do with custom textures and what not, and it's called:
Z-Fighting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-fighting

It's when 2 objects are fighting over the same depth level(Or 'z buffer')
Everytime the camerea(Or 3d view) refresh or moves(in MM), the 2 competing textures will fight.

Very easy to replicate aswell as fix, and it isn't a mineimator specific bug, it'll happen to anything 3d primitive.

hE9iBuj.png

Do as Pokeknights suggested and very slightly move the object away, it should temporarily fix.
(Until you go further away, then they start fighting again)

I know what you mean, it has nothing to do with custom textures and what not, and it's called:

Z-Fighting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-fighting

It's when 2 objects are fighting over the same depth level(Or 'z buffer')

Everytime the camerea(Or 3d view) refresh or moves(in MM), the 2 competing textures will fight.

Very easy to replicate aswell as fix, and it isn't a mineimator specific bug, it'll happen to anything 3d primitive.

hE9iBuj.png

Do as Pokeknights suggested and very slightly move the object away, it should temporarily fix.

(Until you go further away, then they start fighting again)

Ah! Thanks so much! That seems to explain it very well. So I guess a solution would be to create rigged areas without overlapping blocks.