Light Limit?

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Question

I'm working on a project that has a BUNCH of lights. When I got to 16 lights, I started noticing something. A few of my other lights weren't working! I think this has something to do with a light limit. If you know what's causing this, please tell me in the comments!

Example; (Look at the selected light. It's not doing anything.)

s7Ku39B.png

14 answers to this question

I Think You Have Too Many Lights And It's Dropping Your Frame Rate The Lights Look Like They're Still Working But Instead Of Making Lights For All The Torches Why Don't You Just Make One Big Light?

My framerate is always at 24 due to the fact that I have quite a slow computer. I know the lights look like they're working. Whenever I add a new light one of them shuts down for some reason. I wanted this animation to have a nice lighting effect, that's why I put lights for everything.

Edited by Heavenira

My framerate is always at 24 due to the fact that I have quite a slow computer. I know the lights look like they're working. Whenever I add a new light one of them shuts down for some reason. I wanted this animation to have a nice lighting effect, that's why I put lights for everything.

Probably A Problem With Your Graphics Card

Mine-imator has a light limit, which is removed in 1.0.0. Why it happens we will not know, but it has different effects on various machines.  If you want extra lighting, you've got to optimize it. Like for example your row of torches each with one light should be replaced with a larger light in the middle, but put off more off the building. Also you can make the lights move instantly when the camera angle obscures some of the lighting. This is currently the only way to accomplish complex lighting.

Mine-imator has a light limit, which is removed in 1.0.0. Why it happens we will not know, but it has different effects on various machines.  If you want extra lighting, you've got to optimize it. Like for example your row of torches each with one light should be replaced with a larger light in the middle, but put off more off the building. Also you can make the lights move instantly when the camera angle obscures some of the lighting. This is currently the only way to accomplish complex lighting.

Now I'm even more anxious for 1.0.0. xD

Yeah, 1.0.0 will have "low quality" and "high quality" mode, you typically want to work in low quality mode and preview and render in high quality. Low quality will have a light limit of around 60, while high quality is unlimited lights. Lights in low quality will have the vertex lighting (like current M-i versions) to reduce lag, while high quality has pixel/fragment lighting.

Yeah, 1.0.0 will have "low quality" and "high quality" mode, you typically want to work in low quality mode and preview and render in high quality. Low quality will have a light limit of around 60, while high quality is unlimited lights. Lights in low quality will have the vertex lighting (like current M-i versions) to reduce lag, while high quality has pixel/fragment lighting.

Okay. There's just a problem I found in the dynamic shadows. If the light source goes too far, the shadows start to pixelate.

Okay. There's just a problem I found in the dynamic shadows. If the light source goes too far, the shadows start to pixelate.

Could be solved by increasing the shadow map size, but that will increase render times...