My take on Transitions

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

So, I've noticed a few things about transitions on my time hear on the forums, and i wanna see what u guys think. But first the main thing i learned about transitions on the forums.

IT DOESN'T MATTER

Yeah, you heard me. What transitions u used in your animations doesn't really matter. I mean u could be @SKIBBZ who utilizes the Linear transition and clever placement to make his animations smooth. And then, take another guy. He uses transitions in a way that is easy for him and makes his animations smooth. Point is, it really doesn't matter on what transitions you use. Personally i use the sine and quadratic transitions (with a few others like the Back transitions for that special bobbing effect). It matters if your animations look good and is smooth. not what transitions you utilizes in your animations. (Although, realistic movement and good camera angles are keys to a good animation also, but that's for another topic)

But, some people take from example.

@KicksBrickster learned from SKIBBZ's animations and noticed how to work with the same transitions. Thus, he found a way to make his animations smooth and a way that is easy for him to use.

Basically, it doesn't matter what transitions you use. If u can make a animation smooth with the transitions or tactics you use then congrats. 

So that basically sums up my deal on transitions. Some of u may say "you got it all wrong" or something else about my statement, but I personally wanna hear your guys/girls opinions on this matter. 

Edited by MobKiller Animations

Just now, SDWAN said:

Man... The amount of time skibbz is used as an example here...

The Reason i used SKIBBZ is because people are to SKIBBZ like "WOW, youre animations are so smooth, how can u only use linear" (I hope i didnt offend anyone by this)

7 minutes ago, MobKiller Animations said:

The Reason i used SKIBBZ is because people are to SKIBBZ like "WOW, youre animations are so smooth, how can u only use linear" (I hope i didnt offend anyone by this)

I only use linear. It's not that hard to make them smooth

Just now, BluePhoenix said:

I only use linear. It's not that hard to make them smooth

First, of all i didn't know that you used linear, and for you its easy to make your animations smooth. But, for someone like me i think its kinda hard to make my animations smooth with just linear.

I think it depends how long you want to spend on it, how many key frames and exact positions you want to throw at it.

Transitions are a time saving device.  In a professional setup they use the assistants/juniors/whatevers to do the transition frames, we have the transition selector.  As with anything else, if you don't quality control it and jump in and fix mistakes, you'll get a poorer result.

Smoothness or quality of finish is directly proportional to the amount of quality time (this is different for everyone based on the skill and experience of the animator) spent on finalising the transitions, either the "right" one, or more keyframes or tweaking.

I'm very, very bad at spending the required smoothing time, so pretty much any time I throw out an animation that's "finished", it should be considered as a first draft :)  I'm just too lazy to put the time and effort in to finish it properly.  That doesn't mean I don't know what needs to be done, I just haven't done it.

Transitions are easy shortcuts to make your animation smooth or fluid. It's really nothing to discuss.

Some people like making their own transitions with linear and some people like to use in and out etc for their transitions.

It does somewhat matter, as certain strategy's of transitions can output the same effect, but in a shorter time.

For example, PuddieTheKat showed me one of his animations, and it was pretty great. I asked him how long it took him, and he said 10 minutes. This shocked me, as I use linear transitions (much like SKIBBZ) and making the same effect would take me at least 2 hours.