Render in real time doesnt work since the new update

moniker
Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Question

Unless the scene is pretty simple, the render stops working in real time, and it only gives me a screenshot. This is useless because I liked to adjust for example dept of field while I adjusted the parameters, or the lights to see where the shadows are casted, even if I had 5 fps I didn't care, it was enough to make those adjustements, right now I can't do this because if the scene has a couple of lighs a couple of scenaries and a couple of characters it just refuses to give me a real time render.

Edited by moniker

20 answers to this question

10 hours ago, David said:

Go into settings and disable SSAO. It should then give roughly the same rendering speeds as Demo 5.

Still doesn't work. It seems if I disable shadows, it will go in real time. SSAO seems to not have an impact. Even if I put the shadows in the lowest quality, it doesnt go real time.

10 hours ago, Mafa Animations said:

try right clicking and drag from the timeline and selecting the part to render, it will probably work, no promises

Can you even do this? i tried doing this but nothing happens. I was hopping David would add this feature because sometimes I want to select all of the keyframes at once from a certain part to move them because I want to expand the animation in the middle. This way I wouldn't waste time selecting everything scrolling down which takes ages.

15 hours ago, GoldenBullet72 said:

I think this happens when your pc is running out of ram.

But before this update this didn't happen. This shouldn't be happening now if im using the same settings as the old version (no SSAO, no AA or anything that didn't exist on the render prior this new version).

You can lower your shadow quality if needed. This only affects how much spread and smoothing will happen with the shadows where 64 is the most. Though it will still give you a general idea of how the shadows will look.

Also lower any settings needed in render mode. 

34 minutes ago, ÃœberKiller said:

You can lower your shadow quality if needed. This only affects how much spread and smoothing will happen with the shadows where 64 is the most. Though it will still give you a general idea of how the shadows will look.

Also lower any settings needed in render mode. 

It doesn't work if I have shadows on, no matter what. I've tried with a brand new animation and it renders. So for some reason it's collapsing when I enable shadows in my animation but in the old version I was able to have real time shadows even if it was with 5 fps (again don't care, just want to position lights and see the shadows without having to click all the time on render to get a single frame, massive waste of time).
And yes I have SSAO, AA and DOF disabled.

13 hours ago, moniker said:

Doesn't matter. It wouldn't render it even if I set all to the minimum.

Sorry but I have no other explanations for this. If you can still export animations with high quality then you could just look at each frame one at a time to see if it is good enough.

Or you can go back to the demo. I'm not sure but if the 1.0.1 has backwards compatibility, you can animate in the demo and export in the full version.

How fast is your computer, if you get less than 5 FPS at rendering, it stops rendering LIVE, however, more than 5 FPS is good, I got a good computer so i need a hefty amount of lightings until it stops live-rendering...

5 hours ago, Siamand said:

How fast is your computer, if you get less than 5 FPS at rendering, it stops rendering LIVE, however, more than 5 FPS is good, I got a good computer so i need a hefty amount of lightings until it stops live-rendering...

Fast enough so I could have a live rendering in the former version. I don't care if I had 5 fps or less, in any case I would just disable any point lights and anything that wasn't on the scene I wanted to edit.

It is absurd that with a new improved software, which supposedly should be more efficient, it's uncapable of showing me a real time render under the same settings and under the same conditions (same animation).

I can't go back to the former version because I can't live without undo/redo. I just need to be able to render in real time again so I can adjust point lights and see the projecting shadows on the fly.

well the thing is, shadows are hard to render, blender struggles even when you havent done anything and it cant live render as this software, its pretty awesome that he got it but i suggest you using the pictures as a hint of rendering it, and render the whole videos sometimes just to have a peek about what you have created and how you could improve it! Adjusting the lightings is easy with the render picture,

Also how long does it take to render a picture?

Also if you wanna TRYHARD LIKE A B0$$ to get a live render no matter what, here's a full guide about a nice overkill computer build

Ballistix Extreme 256 GB RAM (4x Ram-sticks, higher than 2000 hz)

16 cores (Intel core I7 6700k 4 GHZ should do the job)

A motherboard, just choose a good one (Suggesting ASUS boards)

4 GTX Titan X (Also gives you max settings on WHATEVER GAME YOU WANT TO PLAY, it litterally got 12 GB V-RAM each!)    Suggesting STRIX versions because they are the best ones!

and a good hull (CoolerMaster is a good choice, good fans are included with these!)

It isnt just gonna be ridicilously hard to assemble, its also gonna be ridicilously expensive (around 20K EUR/24K USD)

Edited by Siamand
Deal with it!

22 hours ago, GoldenBullet72 said:

Sorry but I have no other explanations for this. If you can still export animations with high quality then you could just look at each frame one at a time to see if it is good enough.

Or you can go back to the demo. I'm not sure but if the 1.0.1 has backwards compatibility, you can animate in the demo and export in the full version.

I can't wait 4 hours of rendering just to know if I want to move a point light a couple of milimiters. Right now im just coping with it by enabling and disabling the renderer so I get a static screenshot with the "rendered in X seconds" thing. It's a pain in the ass tho...

I have spent a lot of time placing sounds on my scenes, I can't go back to the old version. Also, the old version screwed up some thing, for example I had to replace all the doors because they were placed with boats instead... and the angle of rotation was wrong.

5 hours ago, Siamand said:

well the thing is, shadows are hard to render, blender struggles even when you havent done anything and it cant live render as this software, its pretty awesome that he got it but i suggest you using the pictures as a hint of rendering it, and render the whole videos sometimes just to have a peek about what you have created and how you could improve it! Adjusting the lightings is easy with the render picture,

Also how long does it take to render a picture?

Also if you wanna TRYHARD LIKE A B0$$ to get a live render no matter what, here's a full guide about a nice overkill computer build

Ballistix Extreme 256 GB RAM (4x Ram-sticks, higher than 2000 hz)

16 cores (Intel core I7 6700k 4 GHZ should do the job)

A motherboard, just choose a good one (Suggesting ASUS boards)

4 GTX Titan X (Also gives you max settings on WHATEVER GAME YOU WANT TO PLAY, it litterally got 12 GB V-RAM each!)    Suggesting STRIX versions because they are the best ones!

and a good hull (CoolerMaster is a good choice, good fans are included with these!)

It isnt just gonna be ridicilously hard to assemble, its also gonna be ridicilously expensive (around 20K EUR/24K USD)

Dude... no. With DEMO 5 I was getting a live render always, now I can't. There's no excuse that I can't now, given the animation is the same and the settings are the same. Let's just get this fixed instead. I can't be rendering just to see the lights and shadows in motion, that's an insane waste of time.

I usually get around "rendered in 0.27 seconds" or something along the lines. I tried making invisible everything that wasn't seen on that scene and it worked. But once I placed a poinlight + my character it went from live to "rendered in X seconds".. this makes no sense that a supossedly improved software can't do what it's old version did.

I wish I could have that monster of a PC, unfortunately I can't pay for it at the moment.

Edited by moniker

Lower your render settings, go to settings and do it, you will need to restart to take effect, but lower the better because 1.0.0 Full has actually improved the shadow and the rendering, also they cranked up the settings so it looks more smoother, it needs more energy to render in 1.0.0 than DEMO 5. Just do that and you'll be fine :)

6 hours ago, Siamand said:

Lower your render settings, go to settings and do it, you will need to restart to take effect, but lower the better because 1.0.0 Full has actually improved the shadow and the rendering, also they cranked up the settings so it looks more smoother, it needs more energy to render in 1.0.0 than DEMO 5. Just do that and you'll be fine :)

I have tried with SSAO OFF, AA OFF, DOF off, and all the shadow settings to the lowest possible, and it still doesn't render in real time when I click on the button, I get the "rendered in X seconds" thing.

14 hours ago, moniker said:

I have tried with SSAO OFF, AA OFF, DOF off, and all the shadow settings to the lowest possible, and it still doesn't render in real time when I click on the button, I get the "rendered in X seconds" thing.

X-seconds huh? Tell me what's the average X seconds it takes