Block Revolution Physics Test

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Just a simple physics test for my upcoming rig. Decided to go with 100 blocks rather than the previous 225. I think 225 would have just been overkill. The cubes allow for 6 textures, one for each side. In this test, I only used 2 sides and a few simple transitions.

I plan on releasing this as a rig soon with more transitions, both complex and simple, and several pre-made textures for all sides for people to use. One texture pack will be a kaleidoscope, but will take me some time to get right.

I will also include a tutorial on how to create custom textures for it.

I see a lot of opportunities for this rig.

good

very good

how many pictures does this support? 4?

600 :P

it's a 10x10 cube. All six sides of the cube can be textured for 6 full scale images. Possibly in the future I will add middle rotation points to each face, allowing 12 full sized images, but that is a lot of work and too far in the future to think about til I get this initial one refined.

Very, very impressive, well done.

Thank you. I put a lot of time into this.

Thank you. I put a lot of time into this.

It shows.  At first I was like "Ooooh", and then I was "Hmmm, but there is no real illusion of depth", and then I was like "stop judging the whole thing and focus on the movements", and that was like "Nice".

It shows.  At first I was like "Ooooh", and then I was "Hmmm, but there is no real illusion of depth", and then I was like "stop judging the whole thing and focus on the movements", and that was like "Nice".

I only put any real depth into one transition. The rest stay in place and just spin. But adding depth to this would be simple. You could have it explode in all directions for instance, and then have the blocks be sucked back in to rebuild itself. Maybe push the blocks in and out in different patterns with each transition. One I have planned to try and have on the completed project is to expand out in a circular shape and come back in to reveal the next image. Not sure how I'm gonna do that yet though -_-

I'm sure if I was anywhere near half-way decent at math, it would make it a lot easier.

edit: By circle, I mean sphere.

It was actually depth to each block is what I meant.  It's hard to explain, but there is an element of 3d that is just slightly off.  How many light sources are you using?  It's too smooth, if you know what I mean?  It doesn't feel like they are individual blocks moving in 3d space.  Where's the one that's slightly glitchy and goes a little slower than the others :D  It depends if you are going for realism or the effect.

I don't want to get too judgy, when I'm not sure if I'm giving feedback on the bit you are looking for, however the greater the skill, the harsher the feedback.  Consider it a compliment :)

I'm still very impressed, I can see a lot of people stealing that.

I love feedback :D

It's just one spotlight expanded to reveal the entire wall. I haven't got fancy with anything just yet. Still working on the design so I kept it plain and at a direct frontal view for the smooth look purposely. I think I get what you mean now. I was going for the clean look for the test.

Which one is glitchy so I can fix it? Looks like a smooth transition to me. I had to watch in chrome though cuz firefox was causing stutters in the video. Perfect transitions when I watched in chrome though. Everything is fluid and smooth. If you mean the four middle blocks, they transition slower to achieve the effect I was looking for. Starts from the outside of the wall to the inside, I have them transitioning slower to create a pattern. Without having them transition at different times, it's just a bland transition like the most simple one in the video. I was trying to give it a wavy effect.

I plan on experimenting more with transitions though and make some really complex ones that should help with the 3d look.

Sorry, I meant there wasn't one when there should be, like the IRL changing billboards :)

Still not sure what you mean :P. I wasn't trying to mimic billboards although that would be a great idea for this rig! I was inspired by a wordpress plugin called revolution slider.

I also meant to tell you that I have shadows turned off in the test. Looks 100 times better with them on. There are 802 objects though so I run at 1/3 normal fps with them on with shadows at high.

Are those Blocks or Cubes, and did you assign each a piece of the entire picture individually? Did you cut the picture into equal squares and give each square of picture to each Cube/Block? Is there an easier way, like, are they automatically divided the way Block Texture files are?  :o 

It's 100 invisible cubes that rotate on 100 invisible spheres. Since I can't find a way to texture all 6 sides of a cube differently in a single image because there is no way to properly map it with Mine-imator, each cube has a surface on each of it's sides to be textured individually, so it has to be textured one surface at a time.

I take an image into Photoshop and create a guide grid with 10 columns and 10 rows and then use the slice tool to cut it up. Then when I save it, I have 100 pieces of the image that I can then use as the surface textures.

This should have been released already, but I had to rename all 800 blocks to make texturing easier since Photoshop slices and numbers them from the top left to bottom right and my original numbering had it going from bottom left to top right.

It's basically finished, I just haven't had time to make a presentation yet.

Edited by ImmersiveGaming
Typo