Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

I was looking at some MI 1.0.0 scenery with shading on, and i noticed it has a lack of ambient occlusion.

Here's a picture to give you some insight on what I'm talking about:

sc2-ao-tanks.png

Basically, it gives the edges of objects a dark outline, which makes it looks extremely nice.

When i look at Mineimator however, i see no ambient occlusion.

I was able to make some make-shift ambient occlusion by toying with the shadow setting a bit, but it makes everything else look bad and it only works in some parts.

The first picture is the 100% standard shadow settings in mineimator

The second one is my make-shift ambient occlusion:

Normal shadow settings

oDQcpUy.png

Make-shift Ambient occlusion

my6wgkr.png

I would love to see this in mineimator, along with the bloom effect, but that's been suggested a million times already, and David is already planning to add it anyway.

Thank you for your time :)

Edited by AnimationOwl

#support4cake

if its cake you want click the cake in my signature

#support4cake

(is it just me or does AnimationOwl come up with the most awesome suggestions? o_o)

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/010/809/happy-oh-stop-it-you.png

Edited by AnimationOwl

Also, your description of AO is not quite right. AO actually takes shading of the pixels around the pixel which is being rendered, and uses that data to create smoother lighting. More info about AO in this awesome video about AO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbWV58AH9eg

if you look at my kitchen wallpaper I put ambient occlusion on and it makes all the difference.

I dont have the one without ambient occlusion but its the darker bits around the table and chairs.It just makes shadows look more realisic