3D Deferred Rendered Normal Mapping (suggestion)

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Normals would have horrible effects on cubes. They are usually intended for rounded terrain, where they look much better. This isn't a bad idea to accomplish reflective effects (like puddles, or glass) but it's something that would require more thought before it is actually in the program. Not only that, but people with some heafty 3d texture knowledge would have to actually MAKE the normals + bumpmaps; they don't come standard.

This doesn't mean I don't support the idea. I actually wish this would be in, along with Here is a decent reference on GOOD normals used on 3DS Max

01_normal_map_comparison.jpg

The issue you already see is with the Lowpoly + normal map. It looks just awful in comparison to the Highpoly and lowpoly by themselves. The bumpmap doesn't quite match with the highpoly and it only gives the illusion of bumps. I guess what I am trying to say is that normals would have to be strictly used on flat surfaces, aswell as some various effects. Anything more would cause some serious issues.