Decreasing upload times to Youtube

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

I have figured out how to make upload times for youtube that last about 2 hours, go down to 30 minutes. Wanna know my tricks? Here's how:

Step 1: Decide the video's dimensions

If you want 720p, go with 480 x 720

But if you really want 1080p, scale it to 1920 x 1080

Never upscale the video, if the original video was smaller than 1080p, never upscale it.

Step 2: Scale the Framerate

Make the framerate limit to 30 fps. If your animation was normally rendered at 20fps (The default for mine-imator) then scale it down to 20fps. Having a Youtube video at 60 fps is just useless, since the extra frames do not get uploaded to Youtube. (Youtube's framerate limit is 30fps.)

Step 3: Decide the best file to use.

The two best file extensions for uploading are .avi and .mp4. You can choose whatever one you want, but others can work just as well. Make sure to test the compression before uploading.

Bonus: Choose a good video codec

Choosing uncompressed is a bad idea. The animation file size is just ridiculously huge and makes it hard to render. The Microsoft ones aren't as good either. Choose a codec from a video editing program or a video recorder. Those work the best and cut down the file size.

Step 4: Compress the file

There are plenty of video compressors, and some even let you choose a better file extension to use. Just make sure that the files are double standard and you will be fine. (i.e. if a file extension doesn't support sound, it can ruin the compression if changed to a .mp4 file)

Step 5: Decide when to upload

If you are uploading at predetermined times, then it's best to skip this step. Usually in the mornings is when Youtube traffic is at it's slowest. It's the best time to upload a video. Also on the weekdays is when traffic is at it's faster times, so avoid that. Also stay away from holidays and events if you can, as traffic rises during those times.

Bonus: Community Suggestions

Stevepocalyptic suggests you download Camtasia Studio (even a trial version) and use the Techsmith codec from there to render videos for Mine-imator. It renders smoothly and doesn't blend colors in the video, with good file compression as well.

Poyoarya notes that Youtube has a queue mode that can let you upload more than one video, which saves on time when on the go.

Anyway, I hope this helps you upload a video in no time. Typically following these steps can reduce the upload times by 40%, and sometimes 60% on good days.

Have fun! :)

Also, if you have a life, I think it goes without saying that you could leave it uploading while you're gone. Also note that YouTube allows you to queue multiple videos, so you don't need to wait until one is finished to upload another.

Great post, rep_up.png for you. :)

Also, if you have a life, I think it goes without saying that you could leave it uploading while you're gone. Also note that YouTube allows you to queue multiple videos, so you don't need to wait until one is finished to upload another.

Great post, rep_up.png for you. :)

Skiеdude uses the TechSmith codec that normally renders pretty smooth and doesn't blend colors

You can find it at http://www.techsmith.com/download.html at the bottom of the page

Added