need help on large scale animations

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

One of my friends asked me to make a music video where we fight monsters in a city and eventually go to the end. but I have no clue how to pull it off because there will be 9 good guys (me and my friends minecraft skins) and at least... 500 different monsters and one ender dragon!? (and herobrine possibly because I want him to give me a vicious beating and then I heal using these "powers deep in me" (my imagination is getting the best of me) to decimate him (kind of like in Alan Becker how the dark lord gave the SC a vicious beating and what happened after in animator vs animation 3).

but I have no clue how to do it because I have never done a large-scale animation with so many keyframes I have to animate separately. it's really overwhelming. I tried it once and ended up deleting the file. I'm using mine imator 2.0 btw.

I could use some tips in how to pull this stunt off because my friend told me he is waiting for it and I really want to please him.

Some tips which could help, but only on organisation, not necessarily time or not a lot :

- make each scene as a separated project, if you lost it you'll not lost the entire animation (and it will also take less time to load)

- use camera tricks, the scenery and characters to hide some section, you will not need to put characters 100m away just to fill a place

- when something leave (shadow included) the section recorded by the camera, you can reuse it, like you can make a feeling of 100 of zombies running with only 10 because you reuse it

- if something is out of the field of view, don't bother animate it

- you can change the skin of a character during an animation, no need to spawn a character for each skin if they are not together on the screen, for example if you 5 characters but are only seen by two, just spawn 2 characters and change the skin if needed

- if you can, make a storyboard before to know where you go and do changes on it until you are satisfied

Some personalised tips :

- since it's in the city, take advantage of the windows, alley, walls to hide some parts (as well as focusing)

- try the most to focus on one person (main character) fighting on screen and not a bunch

- don't upload the entire city in the project, only the section needed

- create moments to build tensions, in the style of a mexican standoff, to buy some times, it could also help the animation since it's a fight

- take time to introduce the enderdragon, make him come and flying over the battlefield, not necessarily attacking right when he arrives

- don't do 100% fight, add some downtime, for example, the shadow of the enderdragon flying go over them and one of the character lift his head to see, you can zoom on when he's looking up, you would only need to animate his head for some seconds

I hope it will help you.