Allowing specific pieces of a rig/object to be selected as if they were alone

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

What do you think?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Is this useful?

• Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. Can you see yourself using this?

• Definitely.
    • Nope.

In case you didn't know what I meant in the title, let's say you have a sword in your character's hand, and you have to go into your timeline or it'll only select a specific part of the sword, as well as outside of the timeline, you have to select the character as a whole before the sword itself. If you've got the sword/equip in a folder (please note that this is better utilized with a rig in-hand.), you can put it in another folder to give it a special property I'd like to label "Pseudo-separation," but I doubt that name will catch on.

9dd1c6db13.png

This is a single piece of a rig of mine. You can see, that the folder here (Back_Mount) is locked, while the sword (Rengokuto Ensa) is unlocked. What this does, is it kind of separates the sword from the rest of the rig, while still allowing it to follow its parent. 

To demonstrate how this is done, (and the fact that it works) I am going to use Steve with a diamond sword as an example. (wow, very special.) I am going to attach another part to the sword however, to demonstrate that it doesn't matter what is clicked on the object. The image below is a (semi-large sized) GIF of what it takes to select the sword, and shows that you cannot select the sword via clicking on the overall object and then clicking on the sphere. This is the regular function.

Spoiler

09deaeb311.gif

This is what the hierarchy looks like right now.

cca449e3f5.png

To modify the hierarchy and allow the sword to be selected as if it were its own object, follow this GIF, or read the steps.

GIF:

Spoiler

2945aed2e1.gif

Steps:

Spoiler
  1. Select the main folder/part of the object you want to be able to select alone.
  2. Create a new folder over it. You can name it anything.
  3. Open the new folder in your timeline, then lock it.
  4. Unlock the main folder in the timeline.
  5. ???
  6. Profit.

If done correctly, you should be able to select the object by clicking on it alone, as shown in the GIF in this spoiler. Note where the outlines are.

Spoiler

0d525549e7.gif

Thanks for reading, and I hope you find this useful. DO NOTE, however, that while anything is selected, you can NOT select items as a whole. Unless the top of the hierarchy for said object is anything but a folder. So if you select the human as a whole first, you will still select individual parts of the sword. (in this example.) Thus, this only affects it when nothing is selected.