Textures in MineImator 1.0

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Guest MineatronOrigin

You are most certainly right, my friend!

In Mine-imator version 1.0.0, each item, block, and other assorted instances should have their own individual textures. Additionally, I'd really like to know whether or not shapes will be textured. More importantly, however, how will they be textured? Circles, spheres and other geometric shapes aren't necessarily "Minecraft-like." Thus, having pixelated textures just wouldn't... look right. :/

I wonder what The Glorious David has to say about that...

In Mine-imator version 1.0.0, each item, block, and other assorted instances should have their own individual textures. Additionally, I'd really like to know whether or not shapes will be textured. More importantly, however, how will they be textured? Circles, spheres and other geometric shapes aren't necessarily "Minecraft-like." Thus, having pixelated textures just wouldn't... look right. :/

It can look right if done right.  Done in-properly and the pixels will just stretch and that looks awful, never should you see pixels stretch in any animation.  That is why smooth bending is awful.

That's why you don't use pixelated textures on curved geometric objects.

Guest MineatronOrigin

"That's why you don't use pixelated textures on curved geometric objects."

Edited for ease

"It can look right if done right.  [if] done improperly, the pixels will just stretch and that looks awful; never should you see pixels stretch in any animation.  That is why smooth bending is awful."

But how are we going to texture the geometric shapes?! Is there even going to be a texture sheet? And what will the default dimensions even be? 256x256?

Edited by MineatronOrigin

Guest MineatronOrigin

Edited for ease

"The program will use a 512x256 sheet, but you can import resource pack .zips [files] which [use] individual images ([which] also supports animations obviously.)"

Do you suppose you could release an image of what the default texture sheet will look like? For reference and preparation purposes of course!

FRvZ0.png

As you can see, plenty of room for future Minecraft blocks (like the 1.8 ones.)

I can see that the grass texture has only the grass overlay, and also maybe 1.0.0 will insert the dirt image behind the grass overlay.

Yay, image layers coming in 1.0.0!