How do you make a new texture for modelbench when trying to export it to blockbench for painting doesn't work?

So, to clarify what it says in the question, I have made an animal template for Modelbench (which is supposed to be able to be used to make as many animals as need and I will share it if asked), and I am trying to create a colored texture for the model to test it out. I have tried exporting it as an obj and opening that in Blockbench. It should work, theoretically, but for some reason no matter what I try to do, I cannot paint on most of the faces of the model, even though it is properly mapped to a pure white png image in Modelbench. So could someone please give a detailed tutorial on how to either fix the issue or whether or not there is an alternative other than using a paint style program and constantly re-uploading the texture png to check every single little pixel. If this is in the wrong spot, I'll move it, I am just new and in need of help so i don't pull my hair out. Also, to the makers of ModelBench, if you ever read this, could you please add some sort of in program texture editor at some point?

To update I tried again and managed to paint all of the faces, and this was the result, and yes I tried opening it in blockbench as a box uv and it didn't let me, and i tried converting the existing per-face to box and this is what I ended up with. Also it seems to open up twice the size in blockbench that it does in modelbench.c458d2f4-834e-4ba1-b2c3-6cdfc8e60fd6.jpg

Edited by JonBell98

On 11/27/2023 at 4:16 AM, JonBell98 said:

To update I tried again and managed to paint all of the faces, and this was the result, and yes I tried opening it in blockbench as a box uv and it didn't let me, and i tried converting the existing per-face to box and this is what I ended up with. Also it seems to open up twice the size in blockbench that it does in modelbench.c458d2f4-834e-4ba1-b2c3-6cdfc8e60fd6.jpg

click on the group of it an then create a texture , don't select all of the shapes , i did this and it ruined all of the model
EDIT: please do it in box UV as the default UV mapping or else it won't work

Edited by mcdebanjan