Help, how do I get rid of flickering

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Question

Hello, can someone help me out with the annoying flickering that occurs where the very bottom of the ship touches the surface water? How can I get rid of it. I scaled it up by 2 times, still has a problem of shifting colors at the base of the ships. If you know anything please tell me! Thanks :D

Edited by CraftyFoxe

5 answers to this question

There is no way to fix it, so welcome to the wonderful world of Mineimator where you can't have shadows at far distances. Apparently, you can't fix this because it's a limitation of Gamemaker, so it's another reason of why this program should be ported into a proper 3d engine that doesn't have all those graphical annoyances that ruin your animation.

Another glitch that apparently cannot be fixed is this:

2qn19qd.jpg

As you can see, depth of field doesn't work across transparent objects.

Those two problems already ruin a lot of cool scenes like yours with the ships which looks cool but due the shadow limitation it looks weird.

I can think only one workaround: Make the "Sunligh range" huge until all the shadows are casted on all the ships. The problem is, any closer objects to the camera will show ugly jerky shadows. Also you would need to render this part separately, then adjust the sunlight range to 2000 when you have scenes with characters close to the camera which is a mess (and whatever is far from the camera will again not show any shadows). I told @david to make the "Sunlight range" value modifiable with the background keyframe so we can at least avoid having to render parts separately but since he doesn't update the program anymore we are pretty much screwed.

If you wanted to for example add an helicopter that is close to the camera with some characters inside while you see the ships far away, you would have a problem since the sunlight range value would be too high and the ugly shadows would be visible...

I just hope david eventually releases that "mineimator 2.0" animation program with all those limitations gone for once so we can just focus on being creative and not in how im going to think of a workaround because the software is limiting your ideas (but that software might take years to be released so good luck with that)

Edited by moniker