Optimal Render Settings

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Question

Hello!

I've been toying with the render settings of Mine-Imator as of recent (SSAO, shadow blur, shadow size, etc). However, no matter how much I adjust the render settings, I can never find a good-looking combination of settings. My renders often appear 'smudged' in their outcome, much to my dismay.

If need be, I can supply pictures of my horrendous render settings and how they appear.

What I'm asking (if not evident via the title) is if anyone here knows optimal render settings which would allow my renders to actually look decent instead of smudged and just 'bleughhh'. 

This question may appear vague and/or extremely stupid to ask. Please bear with me; we're not all experts - that's why the 'Help' section exists, right?

I appreciate any answers. 

Thank you!

5 answers to this question

Hm. I see. Lowering the SSAO blur setting should attenuate that effect. As for the shadow, you can try lowering the shadow blur size, increasing the sun light buffer size, and decrease the sunlight range in the Background settings, on the project properties tab.

13 minutes ago, Voxy said:

Can you show us what you mean by "smudged" and "bleughhh"? :P

This image should elaborate to some degree:

EylhqMC (Link if image decides not to work: http://imgur.com/EylhqMC )

Minor things such as the odd blur at the bottom of the head are sort of 'off-putting', if you will. Also, the shadow the character casts isn't very appealing. Additionally, the lighting doesn't seem to work well in some areas (namely the character's right leg - odd gradient-esque thing going on there).

I'm no professional at rendering, but in my eyes the render could be a lot better. I'm glad you're here to help, mate. (:

The adjustments have made the render more appealing on a visual scale. Thank you for that!

http://imgur.com/HQDXiIP

There's still the odd blurring - it's quite prominent in the left arm. This might be due to an auto-antialiasing feature, but I'm not completely sure. If need be, I can likely edit this out in an external programme.

Again, thank you for your help! I greatly appreciate it. :)