h264 codec doesn't show up

moniker
Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Question

Im testing out codecs and xVid takes about 10 hours to render 5 minutes of animation in high quality.

I want to test h264 to see if it's any faster since both are similar in video quality, but I can't find h264 in the codec list. Also it wouldn't let me save as .mp4, only .avi.

h264 is definitely there because my card is pretty new and it has inbuilt 264, it shows up in other programs like Bandicam, I dont get why it doesnt show up in MineImator.

How to save in .mp4 anyway?

14 answers to this question

The only save option is .AVI at the moment. i don't know if there will ever be another extension you can render in, but if i remember, h264 is .MP4 and not .AVI.

You'll have to bear with the rendering. either close all of your applications, and go outside and wait for a bit and enjoy the sun or just wait till it's finished. if it takes 10 hours, either you are using a lot of shaders or your computer is low end. Though, I've never rendered at 5 minute video before, so i can't say anything about that.

Animations can only be rendered in .avi. You will have to use a converter.

Didn't understand about the codec tho...

The only save option is .AVI at the moment. i don't know if there will ever be another extension you can render in, but if i remember, h264 is .MP4 and not .AVI.

You'll have to bear with the rendering. either close all of your applications, and go outside and wait for a bit and enjoy the sun or just wait till it's finished. if it takes 10 hours, either you are using a lot of shaders or your computer is low end. Though, I've never rendered at 5 minute video before, so i can't say anything about that.

It would be cool if the next version allows h264. I think it's way faster.

Im rendering everything at high/very high because insane crashes the program, shadow detail at 64, and I render all my videos at 720p 30fps.

It would be cool if the next version allows h264. I think it's way faster.

Im rendering everything at high/very high because insane crashes the program, shadow detail at 64, and I render all my videos at 720p 30fps.

Well there is no way to make it faster. they both take the same amount of time if your using the same settings. Though i can be wrong but some people just have different prefs. I just take my .avi and put it in my video editor and just do that.  I can't guarantee if David's going to put h264 in the next update or not.

You can use the h264 codec to compress to .avi. It's the codec I use and the quality is 10x times better than any of the others and the file size is half that of windows encoder.

264.png

Here are the settings I use to make it work without losing frames at the end:

264_settings.png

And to get it to work, try installing it from here: http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html or install the k-lite codec pack: http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

You can use the h264 codec to compress to .avi. It's the codec I use and the quality is 10x times better than any of the others and the file size is half that of windows encoder.

264.png

Here are the settings I use to make it work without losing frames at the end:

264_settings.png

And to get it to work, try installing it from here: http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html or install the k-lite codec pack: http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

I have downloaded the latest binaries here

http://download.videolan.org/pub/x264/binaries/win64/

And nothing happens, i get a cmd window that closes fast. I opened a cmd window to see what the program says and it's not an installer, it's just an actual program that works with cvars.

Also I tried with the Lagarith codec and after 6 hours I got an error and "This application has requested the runtime"

677585debug.png

Now im scared to give it another go and waste another 6 hours because it randomly crashes half the way through.

Edited by moniker

Use the k-lite codec pack. It has an installer that will automatically install the codec to where it needs to go.

I'm trying to remember how I got mine to work. I think all I did was install the k-lite pack and it added the x264 codec files to where they needed to go in windows and also created a program group for the x264 config program. It automatically showed up in the mine-imator list of codecs after that.

Edited by ImmersiveGaming

Use the k-lite codec pack. It has an installer that will automatically install the codec to where it needs to go.

I'm trying to remember how I got mine to work. I think all I did was install the k-lite pack and it added the x264 codec files to where they needed to go in windows and also created a program group for the x264 config program. It automatically showed up in the mine-imator list of codecs after that.

I have installed k-lite but x264 wouldnt show on mine imator. How do I make it to show up?

OK. I looked up some stuff. Still not sure what is going on with you because I think the k-lite pack has the right version, but the one I linked for you to use the first time is not a standalone file. It requires another software to use, so you can remove it (the command line one). What you need to get is the vfw version of the codec which, again, I'm pretty sure came with the k-lite pack. Either way, the k-lite pack installed some useful encoders for you that will without a doubt show up in other software that use them if you have any, so I would suggest keeping that pack installed.

Anyway, try the vfw installer from sourceforge and this should do the trick. sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/files/latest/download?source=files

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure how to get it working for you. But I'm confident this one will do it.

Update:

If it does work, make sure you tick zero latency in the configuration or you will lose a second or two of frames at the end. Maybe more on a longer animation. You can mess with the basic settings a bit if I remember without any issues, but the ones I screenshotted for youare the best for animation. Not sure about ticking fast encoding, I don't think I tried it. The quality at 18 is the best quality you can get before losing quality. I think 1 is overkill in most cases because I don't see a difference until 19.

Don't change anything else, especially under output. It would be great to be able to use the output to file option, but for some reason it won't work with Mine-imator (I've tried everything).

Update:

If it does work, make sure you tick zero latency in the configuration or you will lose a second or two of frames at the end. Maybe more on a longer animation. You can mess with the basic settings a bit if I remember without any issues, but the ones I screenshotted for youare the best for animation. Not sure about ticking fast encoding, I don't think I tried it. The quality at 18 is the best quality you can get before losing quality. I think 1 is overkill in most cases because I don't see a difference until 19.

Don't change anything else, especially under output. It would be great to be able to use the output to file option, but for some reason it won't work with Mine-imator (I've tried everything).

It does show up now. I can't see your settings screenshot tho