Program CPU usage options.

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Some people believe the program is slow because of it's CPU/RAM usage, But this is mainly due to the amount of CPU power the program is actually allowed to use.

------

For Example:

Say the program is set to use 2GHz and 2gb of RAM.

If the program is running on a PC with a 3Ghz CPU and 3gb of RAM, The program will run fine and use a reasonable amount of resources.

But if the program is running on a PC with high specifications, Quad Core 4Ghz and 16gb of RAM, The program uses a very low amount of resources but still runs at the same speed of the lower spec PC.

------

My PC has very high specifications because it's a gaming PC and I ran the application on my old PC only to realise it's the exact same speed as it is on my current one. Quite a few applications have this problem but all it requires is a small change in the code to make it use a different amount of resources, Either just telling the users where this option is or making it so we can change it in the application would be great. This would enable the program to run faster and smoother on higher specifications PCs and made rendering a lot faster too.

Thanks,

-Mike

P.S: and if this was already discovered how, Please tell me below thanks. :)

Some people believe the program is slow because of it's CPU/RAM usage, But this is mainly due to the amount of CPU power the program is actually allowed to use.

There have been many reasons of why the program has ran slowly, This would be one of them but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's the main reason.

To do a basic change of how much a Program can use: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/51178-45-setting-usage-application

For a more temp-permanent way, you modify the exe itself but Changing it properties and making it run a batch file and make it use an amount I guess.

But those would only be temporary solutions I guess.

But to my understanding david has been using YYC now, so that =Faster and better optimized, so GHz Wouldn't be to much of a problem in the next update I assume.

However I am unsure of how Computers will cope with this suggestion, As it alters the CPU usage.

So every time you run it, it might ask for administrative permission, Which may get annoying.

And a strict Anti-virus Might view it as a Worm, (As Worms usually change and waste CPU usage)

So those might be an obstacle aswell.

However, In my opinion, it would be a great Addition to Mine-imator.

It'd honestly be quite great to see it happen. :P

The link you sent goes to a forum post of someone trying to limit the program's resource usage, What I'm trying to do is raise the resource usage so the application can use more of my PC's power to render the video and keep the world smooth, When I import large or many schematics this causes even camera movement to be buggy and make jolted movements, This would also help with schematic size and would mean I could upload schematics of any size.

Just making the small piece of code available for me/anyone to edit means stronger PCs will use the program to it's maximum potential.