Bug where Opacity stops working at farther distances.

Screenshot_2023-10-21_231126.jpg?ex=6547   

This is a bug I've encountered for a while. I use a technique where I have a cube set to 1% opacity, in order to see through preexisting textures. I use this to animate the mouth on my models. however, whenever the camera gets some ways away from the textures, they start to glitch out and what's behind them starts to show again. I've always managed to ignore it or hide it, but I'm running out of inventive ways to hide this glitch. Rendering it doesn't fix it. Is there anything you guys know of that could fix this? a work around? or even to plan a patch to fix this?

On 10/22/2023 at 10:35 AM, Aisu Uchibi said:

Did you try to use the "render depth" option ?

yes, I did. that's how you're able to see the inside of the mouth (the gums and teeth) this bug is overwriting the render depth and showing what's underneath it anyway. The render depth is the first thing I tried to mess around with. it's why I'm confident the problem lies within the opacity. because only lower opacity objects at a distance from the camera do this. nothing else. no matter what I change through all the settings.

For further context for how the mouth works for debug purposes. The model uses a completely textured head, i use 1% opacity cubes on the front of the mouth to control the shape of the open mouth, and i use the render depth settings to make the inside of the mouth appear behind them.

Edited by JSheerXeno54
forgot to add a bit more context

On 10/23/2023 at 4:24 AM, Aisu Uchibi said:

I thought about someting weird, but when you move the camera around, does the bug's motif change ?

If so, i remember having this bug when two objects were too close to each other, maybe you can try to move the teeth backward.

yeah, it does actually do that. also, I knew I was forgetting something! I forgot that Models begin to compress themselves as you get further from them. I'll try to temporarily move the mouth opening further from the face and see if it lets up. I'll edit reply this with the results.

Screenshot_2023-10-23_232158.jpg?ex=6549 

Alright it worked! :D at that distance, I don't think people will notice the mouth opening is hovering slightly above the face, it's something I can do manually every time the bug appears too. I wonder though if the textures compressing is just a built-in space saver in Mine-imator to help it run smoother? But anyway, thank you, this really helped! I feel dumb that I forgot about the model compressions when you move away from them though.

Edited by JSheerXeno54
updating my response after testing something