help lighting a glowstone

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Question

10 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Nickolias said:

How so? Are you adjusting the brightness? Placing lights around it?

I always put the brightness to 100%, i can't figure out where the lights should be placed and the appropriate settings.

Edited by Blue Chocolatebar
typo

2 minutes ago, KicksBrickster said:

What I would do is make the glowstone not cast shadows, and put the light at the exact center. That just makes it easier to set up lighting, although it's certainly not perfect.

most of the glowstones are engraved in the ground so that doesnt work, it is useful for lamps though!

17 minutes ago, Blue Chocolatebar said:
18 minutes ago, Nickolias said:

How so? Are you adjusting the brightness? Placing lights around it?

I always put the brightness to 100%, i can't figure out where the lights should be places and the appropriate settings.

15 minutes ago, KicksBrickster said:

What I would do is make the glowstone not cast shadows, and put the light at the exact center. That just makes it easier to set up lighting, although it's certainly not perfect.

Well, I tested it out on a glowstone block and a cube (cube on the left), and didn't find a difference in whether cast shadows was on or not for either.

jrcGlsG.png

Glowstone has full brightness level (15). Which means 15 blocks * 16 whatevermeasurementmineimatorisin (pixels?) = 240 brightness (approx) and I suggest using full fade as well.

Edited by Nickolias

14 minutes ago, Blue Chocolatebar said:

most of the glowstones are engraved in the ground so that doesnt work, it is useful for lamps though!

Try setting the light directly above and and lower the light level by 16.

Or, try consulting this: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Light

Make a glowstone block and set the brightness to 100% so the block doesn't has shadows. Then place a light above the face that sticks out. If the glowstone has multiple faces sticking up you should place a light on every face that sticks out so it doesn't make a shadow near the block.