Famous Mine-imator and Modelbench shadow offset rendering Bug

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Spoiler

9ua6Fgc.png

All good right? Nope!

Spoiler

RmAfLF8.png

Look at the eyebrows shadows, what the heck!? they look like disconnected!? and don't get me started on Modelbench!

I clearly connected them, even further on all of my models, and I have this bug everywhere, mostly when I don't upscale my models times 8:

Spoiler

8p3fw0Q.png
xrjIT4P.png

The bug even better to see:

Spoiler

rZM8RRp.png

What is that Offset!?

Like I would respect a reasonable explanation but without it, this is just unacceptable and it's been around for ever and everyone had this issue, I see it almost everywhere on the simpler renders.

Otherwise Modelbench is a bit hanging back...

On 7/14/2022 at 8:14 AM, Fox Miner said:

Like I would respect a reasonable explanation but without it, this is just unacceptable and it's been around for ever and everyone had this issue, I see it almost everywhere on the simpler renders.

It's called "peter panning"(where casted shadows are "disconnected" from their caster), a common artifact in shadow mapping techniques.

On 7/14/2022 at 4:34 PM, Nimi said:

It's called "peter panning"(where casted shadows are "disconnected" from their caster), a common artifact in shadow mapping techniques.

Thank you for the reasonable explanation, now tell me, is this preventable or even fixable or will it be fixed in a future update?