Mine-imator 2.0 Pre-release 4 (Phase 1)

I'm unable to open the new Mine Imator 😥 Every time I try to run it (I've installed it in multiple locations, tried it in both EXE and ZIP variant, tried running it as an administrator, it doesn't open). All I get is an icon in the taskbar for a few seconds and then it closes.

At first I was kinda skeptical if I really want to try it out. I was thinking that it's not enough for a first pre-release (you know like sometimes developers say they've made a huge performance improvement and as a result you don't really notice any changes, as if they wouldn't actually do anything game-changing. that's kinda the same what i felt here at the beginning), but god I'm glad I've tried it out.

That is a phenomenal job. I'm not even talking about new world importer and other stuff. The performance itself is a huge thing here.
Especially since I'm working on a laptop, real-time render was a real pain before this update. Now it isn't. Like, for real. It's not as before.
Man, even saying "yep, it's just better" is not enough to describe how epic the improvement is. I have no words but still I can not just sit silent and say nothing.
It truly brought me back here after years of inactivity. 

I was expecting like 10-20 FPS on my big animation Im working on. Before that it couldn't even render at 5. It was just instantly freezing at 1 frame.
And, my god, how shocked I was to see not 30, not 40 but around 50-60. My soul screamed in joy after this and as you can see I am still under effect.

Just wanna say a big THANK YOU for both David and Nimi. Very epic and proud job. You guys really nailed it.

The part I translated into Chinese, I don't know why it can't be displayed (I have used a font that can display Chinese), and there are not a few Chinese translators who have this situation. Is it a problem with the software itself?

I just learned that not only Chinese, but also non-English texts cannot be displayed.

5DwMUh6yslHirmJ.pngaBUf4dWmi5JDQGt.pngnrWSQDHZ1Boh9i2.png

Edited by ValiantShishu

On 6/2/2022 at 8:10 PM, Zomman said:

Please it help it crashed on me and I lost all my progress completely 

Hi, backup files are regularly created in the project folder, they can be opened using the Open project button and changing the filter to .backup.

On 5/30/2022 at 11:47 AM, david said:

“Sunlight Strength” is now 100% by default (this setting may be removed in the future)

Why would you remove this? this setting is useful, it's yet another way to fine tune the tone of the scene. Sometimes it helps in darkening or brighting things out. To give it an extra sunny touch I use 100% and when I want darker I go to 0%, don't remove this option.

About the software, i've been opening up some rigs and testing things. They all seem to be loading fine. The improvement on fps is pretty good. I've also opened some previous projects and they don't work:

Invalid id -4

in App::Asset::Find:71

Version: 2.0 Pre-release 1 (Windows)

Another one:

Invalid id 0

in App::Asset::Find:86

Version: 2.0 Pre-release 1 (Windows)

I try to click on "View log" and nothing happens. I don't really want to upload my project. Where is the log? I was hoping to see if my old projects that were nonviable to work at due low fps would finally work fine but they don't open. They open in 1.2.9 but not with 2.0. None of them work. This is a huge problem since the first thing someone would want to do is to continue the projects they had to stop due low fps.

Now render wise, there are the same old problems:

fog.png

Fog is not properly rendered throught transparency.

dof.png

Same goes for DOF. I was hoping this would be fixed with the new engine.

More bugs, the slime is just a transparent block:

slime.png

On the one project from 1.2.9 that managed to open, the blocks are transparent:
blocks.png

GUI wise, there is no way to pin stuff on the timeline, the right click to select what you want to render scrolls the timeline up, no custom transitions, etc etc. But I guess this is comming on the final version.

@davidcan you release a quick update that fixes at least the Slime model? im going to try to start an animation from scratch and see where things break. When I find something I'll report back. I would like to also find out why older projects don't work but the thing is I cannot find any logs.

It's wierd, I see everyone complaining about something different... What the heck? 

Projects don't load, my do

Mine-imator doesn't start, mine does

My windows go crazy, but no one else's? 

Damn I really don't understand the real power of coding 

On 6/3/2022 at 4:18 PM, Fox Miner said:

It's wierd, I see everyone complaining about something different... What the heck? 

Projects don't load, my do

Mine-imator doesn't start, mine does

My windows go crazy, but no one else's? 

Damn I really don't understand the real power of coding 

Does Slime show up ok for you? I don't get it, why has no one noticed it doesn't work?

I do really like how Mineimator supports 2K and 4K resolutions now, so I don't have to always go into display settings and manually change my resolution to something like 1080P.

But for my 2K resolution laptop now with 2.0.
https://imgur.com/a/JfwHvJR

The resolution seems too small and forced. I can still animate with this resolution but it's really annoying and hard to see.

https://imgur.com/a/lZYlTSb

Edited by Turbulated

On 6/3/2022 at 4:40 PM, moniker said:

Does Slime show up ok for you? I don't get it, why has no one noticed it doesn't work?

Oh... I noticed just now... crap, It's really broken

MKWGbBY.png

OH... the model seems broken, wait lemme check! Wait no the model is fine...

Most likely it has something to do with the renderdepf and since its only one part (The Slime) you can't change it... Well that's a bummer

On 6/3/2022 at 4:40 PM, moniker said:

Yeah, people have reported it, it's related to how models render and is not specific to slime, but I'm attaching a patched model that works around the bug (for now).

Drop this in the following folder: C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Temp\Mine-imator_tmp\Minecraft_unzip\1.18\assets\minecraft\models\character

When pre-release 2 is out the bug will be fixed and you'll have to revert to the current model (found in pre-release 1), so would be wise to make a backup of it.

slime.mimodel

On 6/3/2022 at 4:18 PM, Fox Miner said:

Not too unexpected, it's built upon a new engine and 100% of the code has been replaced (not to mention the new code needed for the 3D world importer and added features). It's essentially an entirely new software.

On 6/3/2022 at 6:34 PM, david said:

Yeah, people have reported it, it's related to how models render and is not specific to slime, but I'm attaching a patched model that works around the bug (for now).

Drop this in the following folder: C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Temp\Mine-imator_tmp\Minecraft_unzip\1.18\assets\minecraft\models\character

When pre-release 2 is out the bug will be fixed and you'll have to revert to the current model (found in pre-release 1), so would be wise to make a backup of it.

slime.mimodel 954 B · 1 download

Not too unexpected, it's built upon a new engine and 100% of the code has been replaced (not to mention the new code needed for the 3D world importer and added features). It's essentially an entirely new software.

Slime is now working. What about error logs tho? I click on View log and nothing happens.

errorlog.png