Mine - imator linux support

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

if you are just here to say that i shouldn't use linux because it isn't as good as windows or that mineimator is windows only, please go bother someone else, for everyone else here, here's my story

i am an asset designer for minecraft mods and animations, i've done custom items, custom textures, custom mob models and stuff, i even use blockbench alongside modelbench, wich works fine on linux, i run it via wine and boom, it just works and imports fine to mineimator, my ONLY problem with the software is the world importer, everything, and i mean EVERYTHING (that i've tested so far, because i'm not the animator) works fine, i just use wine and it opens, my ONLY problem is the world importer wich freezes the program, when i terminate mineimator the world importer just appears, and if i close it IT STILL RUNS IN THE BACKGROUND, both 64bit and 32bit world importers do this, maybe runing in the bg is a new problem, i don't remember

in conclusion, i just want to use mine-imator to import worlds directly, everything else is fine, i don't want a native linux version, i just want it to work on my system, i already have a virtual machine with windows that's painfully slow (that could be because it's running from my hard drive) and doesn't have any 3d acceleration, wich makes navigating impossible (but that's on the virtual machine side)

i hope to be listened, because i've used mine-imator many years ago and seeing it still being actively developed makes me happy, i know that i'm a minority of pc users, but i just want this tool to work, i don't want to stop a render because i need to open a virtual machine to import a world for the animator that i work with, or to even boot back into windows because the virtual machine doesn't work

i just want to work, that's all

This could be due to Wine not handling the new multithreaded functionality properly.(Not entirely sure but that's my theory.) If it's not too much of a pain, if you've ran Mine-imator at least once, you can launch the world importer as its own standalone app and save .schematic files instead of having to go through Mine-imator.

On 12/19/2021 at 10:56 PM, Nimi said:

This could be due to Wine not handling the new multithreaded functionality properly.(Not entirely sure but that's my theory.) If it's not too much of a pain, if you've ran Mine-imator at least once, you can launch the world importer as its own standalone app and save .schematic files instead of having to go through Mine-imator.

i'll check this out right now, but where is the schematic file located?

On 12/19/2021 at 11:03 PM, Nimi said:

A window will appear letting you save it where ever you like.

thank you so much, it worked perfectly, the integration isn't as seamless as windows but it at least works for what i need to do, thank you so much

but it still keeps open in the background and prevents me from launching mine-imator

On 12/19/2021 at 8:19 PM, 4nizio said:

but it still keeps open in the background and prevents me from launching mine-imator

It might be failing to close some background threads, keeping some parts of the program "running". I haven't ran into the issue on my native Windows PC(I haven't received reports from other users either.) so it could be specific to Wine.

On 12/19/2021 at 11:40 PM, Nimi said:

It might be failing to close some background threads, keeping some parts of the program "running". I haven't ran into the issue on my native Windows PC(I haven't received reports from other users either.) so it could be specific to Wine.

that's definitely wine related, but still, it doesn't happen with other programs that i run in the same way, modelbench is an example, works fine as if it was running in a windows machine

On 12/19/2021 at 8:47 PM, 4nizio said:

that's definitely wine related, but still, it doesn't happen with other programs that i run in the same way, modelbench is an example, works fine as if it was running in a windows machine

Modelbench and Mine-imator are single-threaded programs. If the thread they're running on is closed, the entire program stops.

On 12/19/2021 at 11:52 PM, Nimi said:

Modelbench and Mine-imator are single-threaded programs. If the thread they're running on is closed, the entire program stops.

also, is there an way to change the directory that the importer will be looking for minecraft worlds?, because it's kinda of painful to work  my way trough the filesystem, specially in wine wich i need to start all over form the root directory

Edited by 4nizio
fortog to add some ponctuation :P

On 12/19/2021 at 9:31 PM, 4nizio said:

also, is there an way to change the directory that the importer will be looking for minecraft worlds, because it's kinda of painful to work  my way trough the filesystem specially in wine wich i need to start all over form the root directory

There isn't.