We really need a better way to deal with transitions

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

What I mean is, if you want to make a character to start walking, then stop, if you want to do it properly, you will need typically 4 keyframes for the movement:

1st keyframe = the character starts walking (acceleration). Something like the Easy in (sine or quadratic)

2nd keyframe = once the character is now walking, use a linear keyframe

3rd keyframe = the character starts delecerating. Easy out (sine or quadratic)

4th keyframe = the character is now stopped

With this you get a more smooth start and stop movement. The problem: In order to match the acceleration with the linear speed, you need to manually adjust, basically by eye, until the 1st and 3rd keyframe matches the speed of the linear speed of the second keyframe. I don't know if this is too convoluted to understand but it's easier than it seems.

We basically need a way to get this done fast and in a predictable way, so you don't have to go throught the insanity of trying to do this by intuition.

I propose a solution similar to many other editors. For instance, Sony Vegas, you can draw the envelope manually, this would represent the speed:

image069.jpg

This way it would be as simple as drawing the envelope, and then the character would travel smoothly following these curves, instead of trying to fit predefined transitions with linear keyframes.

Edited by moniker