I'm worried about MI 2.0

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

We all know that new systems will come to MI 2.0, a new shadow method, Global illumination and other things already announced by Nimi, all this is amazing..

But I'm worried about how much MI might get lag and crashing with all new 2.0 systems because the program is limited to 32x and doesn't have multi-thread..

is there any chance of MI update to 64x and having Multi-thread system ? This would be very good, as few objects in the scene make the program to lag.

About Multi-threading: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/native-gml-multithreading-in-gamemaker-no-dlls-networking.44268/

( I don't know if I can mention you, but I'll take my chances - @Nimi )

I really appreciate your work, Nimi! thanks for your effort and sorry for my bad english. Have a nice day ! ^^

In terms of the new rendering features(Global illumination, volumetric fog, etc.), their performance impact will mainly rely on your GPU. There's also a system in place to improve the quality of these effects while also helping with performance by rendering these effects overtime.

9779bc962a6092df26f6631d7075a93e.gif

x64 support will only help when it comes to crashes with high memory usage and won't increase performance. I have yet to get this working.

As for multi-threading, not everything can be multi-threaded, it's usually used to help split up large tasks and can't tackle general performance. Probably won't be added unless YoYoGames (The creators behind the engine Mine-imator uses.) adds it natively to to their engine.

On 10/7/2021 at 8:20 PM, Nimi said:

In terms of the new rendering features(Global illumination, volumetric fog, etc.), their performance impact will mainly rely on your GPU. There's also a system in place to improve the quality of these effects while also helping with performance by rendering these effects overtime.

9779bc962a6092df26f6631d7075a93e.gif

x64 support will only help when it comes to crashes with high memory usage and won't increase performance. I have yet to get this working.

As for multi-threading, not everything can be multi-threaded, it's usually used to help split up large tasks and can't tackle general performance. Probably won't be added unless YoYoGames (The creators behind the engine Mine-imator uses.) adds it natively to to their engine.

Thanks for the answer ! it looks like the MI is being well optimized, this will help the animators a lot, so thanks <3

would a system of render passes also help in the final rendering? I saw some people commenting about this on MI discord. 

Edited by Hidaaan

Im hoping the frustum culling technique makes fps go higher because most of the time im working on very low FPS considering how few stuff there is on screen. Im 1:30 minutes on an animation and im already at 20 fps which is insanity. All I have is 8 characters, the scenario and 1:30 minutes worth of keyframes. Point lights and "complex" (not really, it's just some rig of a weapon) stuff that im not using is hidden, yet FPS are this low.

My computer is a 3950X with an RTX 2080 32gb ram so it doesn't add up.

Smooth FPS are the most important feature in an animation software because animation without smooth FPS is not very inspiring.

Edited by moniker