Dev update #21: "The Anniversary Update"

having been here since almost the very beginning, it's amazing to see mine-imator progress from a simple program for making tf2 animations to this powerful application beloved by many. godspeed, nimi & crew

7 minutes ago, Nimi said:

I doubt anyone was hoping for a delay on the update

i actually kinda was hoping for a delay, since i didn't feel like there was enough put into this update. it looks like it'll pay off though, because more polish, content and optimization is probably going to be done and be done even better.

also, have any crashing issues related to project video rendering been solved? i have a project that i've been working on a while that i can't export into video at all.

Edited by Cryptic Runner

18 minutes ago, Nimi said:

image.png.4699187f1f02be8222a5bf5100c1738f.png

Hello everyone! It's been a while since the last dev update, and I'm sure you have questions about the update and what's taking so long, so let's start with answering that.

What's taking so long?

In the previous dev update, I mentioned that I was working on "Inventory", the new UI for Mine-imator. This ended up taking a while to finish and pushing back when I planned to start on optimizations for rendering. I've since finished optimizations and now wrapping up any final graphical features for the update.

A change of plans

As many of you know, the "Caves & Cliffs" update for Minecraft has been split into two parts. This delay in the second half of the update will give me more time to further refine the update and improve areas where the program lacks, like animation. This of course will result in a delay of the update into next year, Mine-imator's 10th anniversary.

The Anniversary Update

With this new delay for the update going into Spring 2022, I've decided to rebrand the next major update from "Mine-imator 1.3" to "Mine-imator 2.0: The Anniversary Update". With overhauls to graphics, UI, and eventually animation (?), both david and I believe this update is deserving of the 2.0 title. I can't say for sure what new features will be coming in the next coming months for the update, but I'm sure the update will be worth the wait.

W.I.P. feature gallery

It would be pretty cruel to end the update with nothing to show, especially with how long its been since the last dev update. So here's some early previews of what's in store. Do note that things are still subject to change in development and the following may/may not be final. ?

Hide contents

dev21_timeline.gif.9fa4243b39d17617378e3f4172af8fe2.gif

The timeline is receiving plenty of quality-of-life upgrades, including the ability to color tag, hide, and search for timelines.

dev21_markers.gif.a6b8b370064fd09082786b1ae98fdd69.gif
In addition to better timeline organization, you'll be able to add markers to better track events in your animations.

SSSSS.thumb.png.d3efc8773d0d3a953cf65a7635e33265.png
I never expected the limited "Light bleed" feature to get so popular, so I've decided to replace it with a new, proper subsurface scattering system that offers far more customization with the effect. Values can be animated and inherited, though that'll mean you'll need to re-add the effect to your creations.

That about wraps this dev update up, I doubt anyone was hoping for a delay on the update, but I hope these exciting announcements offer plenty of hype for what's still to come!

Woah