Bustling City of Steves

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Welcome to the Bustling City of Steves!

Been 5 years since I touched Mineimator.
So any thoughts/critique on whats considered the 'Norm' would be great!

cWcyv8G.png

Credits:

Cigar Rig -  @TheBlueeye
Briefcase - @tditdatdwt
Car rigs - @Dawid24M

Any help/tips about getting lighting right in Mineimator would be appreciated aswell.

Edited by Emunator

Oh hey, it's cool to see you around here again.  : )

Since you kinda asked, here's some critique:

First off I'd recommend increasing the sunlight buffer size as much as you can (within your PC's limitations, not sure what your setup is), as they've been stretched out to the point that they're visibly blocky and a lot of the Steves don't have shadows, and those that do just have a square under them.     If they're still weird and blocky after that, you can put some blur on them and they should look alright.
Secondly, the lighting looks to be pretty much the default lighting which doesn't look very good IMO.    I'd recommend making the sunlight color a little less orange/yellow, but don't completely get rid of the tint.    As for the shadows, I think they would look better if they were a more cyan-ish color rather than the purplish blue they are right now.
Lastly for the lighting, it'd look a lot better if you moved the sun a bit so that it isn't directly overhead.    That way the sides of the buildings won't all be shadowed, and the shadows in general would just be more interesting to look at.

One more thing, there's a bit of stylistic inconsistency with the textures.    The sidewalk has a very simple, clean, contrasty style.  Most parts of the buildings have a smoothed-off but a bit more complex style, and the stone slabs are still default.    Most of the Steves have a simpler texture that fits well with the first two styles pretty well, but there are a handful that still have the default texture.  (On the balcony to the right, and in the cars)

Still, this is a really fun idea for a render, and is quite well done considering you haven't touched MI in 5 years.     Hope this helps, I hope I'll see more from you soon

11 hours ago, crustyjpeg said:

Still, this is a really fun idea for a render, and is quite well done considering you haven't touched MI in 5 years.     Hope this helps, I hope I'll see more from you soon

Thanks for the critique! This was the response I was hoping to get, I'll be sure to play around with the lighting and settings for my next render! Thank you Crusty.

2 hours ago, Zerghunter666 said:

Play around with the ambient lighting a bit, otherwise it's bussin respectfully

Will do Zerg! And thanks.

11 hours ago, david said:

Welcome back to the forums, oh grand philosopher Emu, would love to have you back as a moderator... ;) 

One day ;)

13 hours ago, tditdatdwt said:

Wow that's like the fourth use of the Briefcase Rig!! What an honor

The honor is mine Tdit. ;) It's a nice simple rig that gets the job done.

On 7/5/2021 at 7:10 AM, Emunator said:

Welcome to the Bustling City of Steves!

Been 5 years since I touched Mineimator.
So any thoughts/critique on whats considered the 'Norm' would be great!

cWcyv8G.png

Credits:

Cigar Rig -  @TheBlueeye
Briefcase - @tditdatdwt
Car rigs - @Dawid24M

Any help/tips about getting lighting right in Mineimator would be appreciated aswell.

Infestation of Steves!