Search box needed in "Hierachy"

Staff Note
Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Trying to find something specific in an huge amount of parented stuff is a nice one trip to insanity as you try to scroll up and down to find it:

mine1.png

A search box would solve this, as you type what you are trying to find everything that doesn't have that word gets filtered out, as you can do in the "Resources" and "Library" section, as well as when you are adding something (blocks, objects, particles.. all have this search box)

mine2.png

Interesting idea but bad example image, for the reason @CRAZYKOKEBROZ mentioned above; almost everything listed in your example screenshot is named "Cube".

This would only work if you have a lot of objects with unique names.

Edited by __Mine__

22 hours ago, __Mine__ said:

Interesting idea but bad example image, for the reason @CRAZYKOKEBROZ mentioned above; almost everything listed in your example screenshot is named "Cube".

This would only work if you have a lot of objects with unique names.

There is an easy way to get around this. You can quickly visually click on the object you want to find on the Parent list, change the name to something unique, then you can filter it on the list. However, without the search box you have to scroll up and down manually which is insanity.

Edited by moniker

On 12/29/2020 at 12:23 PM, moniker said:

There is an easy way to get around this. You can quickly visually click on the object you want to find on the Parent list, change the name to something unique, then you can filter it on the list. However, without the search box you have to scroll up and down manually which is insanity.

Naming every object individually like that would make animating take longer than needed. We do not need a search bar for this (unlike things such as the objects present in the animation).

On 1/3/2021 at 12:47 AM, CRAZYKOKEBROZ said:

Naming every object individually like that would make animating take longer than needed. We do not need a search bar for this (unlike things such as the objects present in the animation).

You don't need to name every object, just the object you want to parent to.

6 hours ago, moniker said:

You don't need to name every object, just the object you want to parent to.

One: you would need to still name everything beforehand with this interface, regardless to it being a parent object or a child object.

Two: I still don’t see this being of much use as it would just take up more space. Once again I animate without trouble in the software’s current status. This would make no use as far as I’m aware.