Collab support (simple but a good feature)

Staff Note
Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

is this a good recommendation?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. is this a good recommendation?

• Yes.
    • No.

I bet a lot of people asked this already. but I'll ask because I just though of this. and this would be very helpful for Collab animations, renders, models, ECT.

now. nimi, david, any MI dev in general. do you think you can add this feature?

here is how I think it would be: I think it would be you can make a code for the project. and send it to people you trust so they can join and help you by adding assets, and animating something while you animate something else. it would be very helpful for teams that do these collabs. please add this if you can because it will help me and a lot of other people out, at least I think.

This feature has been suggested a lot in the past. I don't often give the reasons why I won't add multi-user, but since its been a while...

1. The hosting will have to rely on one of two things: Dedicated servers or users port forwarding their projects. We can't afford servers and I'm sure most users would be confused on how to setup port forwarding.
  2. It's not very friendly on slow connections. When a user would add a new asset that's large in size(like a large scenery file or a model with high-res textures), it would need to be sent over to all other users to download before their program can start to load it in. There's also the potential issue with "rubberbanding" in slow connections which can be forgiving in games, but not in software. Undo/redoing actions made in the project proves to be another issue.
  3. I'm not experienced enough with net code to realistically add multi-user to a program that's entirely focused around single-user changes.
  4. There are simply other priorities over multi-user. Currently there's a major update in development that overhauls the interface and rendering capabilities among other things and is  planned to release sometime next year and starting to investigate a new large feature this late into development isn't viable.

While this feature may not be added, you can still use a file hosting service (like GitHub or some alternative) where you can host a Mine-imator project and each user could theoretically make changes on their own end by themselves and submit their individual batch of changes. I don't know how well something like that would work but it's certainly worth a try if you really want some sort of collaboration. :thumbsup: