Oblivion GEN 6.0

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

What is up with those elbow bends? They are neither sharp or smooth, they are just deformed. Also I gotta agree with Mercury, your shading style is called pillow shading (brighter near the edges, darker in the middle, or the other way around) and it's generally not really liked by most people.

...I still don't like those perfectly-centred pupils. All of the expressions just look derpy because of this, especially this one...
unknown.png

Additionally, most of the textures just look blurry.

Edited by __Mine__

I dont find this rig too appealing at all.

The eyes look weird because of the centered pupils, the shading looks iffy and unnatural, I don't like how high quality the textures are, they clash with the default textures and I don't think many people here are going to run a specific texture pack just to make this look presentable.

Dang, sharpwind really ain't getting a (very) positive reception...

On topic: imo the rigs themselves look nice, I like the concepts of the variants of your character

But i agree with everyone on the facial expressions

Edited by EnderFrameStudios TM
So I'm not exaggerating + other things

haha pixel inconsistency go brrrrrrr

over all the rig is not bad but u definitely need to work in your textures I would recommend avoiding pillow shading and noise for textures and there is the big one Pixel consistency is really non existent for the video and I am not a fan of the face rig and the lighting looks like the default Mi lighting with some camera effects.

On 10/16/2020 at 1:31 AM, HeYoNia said:

Whoa, I thought they were facial hair.

It actually is facial hair

11 hours ago, FrostyIzHere said:

overall, the rigs are not that bad and not that excellent.

I like the rigs, personally.

but maybe you can get an update to fix some the problems mentioned by the people above for the rigs soon.

I've actually fixed the bending elbows, because they were disturbing me as well, someone in my Discord server showed me how to get around the issues i've had. As far as the pillow shading goes, it doesn't really bother me at all (unless people are referring to the face, which is facial hair) and for the pupils, people once had issues with it before, so i've put them slighty closer, but i won't go beyond what i currently have. I personally don't like pupils being close thogether; it gives the character too much a cartoony feel. At the end of the day, it still comes down to preference and everynpdy has got their style.

11 hours ago, SharpWind said:

I personally don't like pupils being close thogether; it gives the character too much a cartoony feel. 

You realize that even in real life, people's pupils don't face straight, right? Because of the way your eyes focus, and because of the shape of your head, your pupils appear to be closer together in real life even when you're looking straight ahead.

Now, I do think that we might be thinking about this the wrong way. Most of what I'm concerned about is that your characters usually have lifeless-looking expressions, but now that I think about it, that might not be wholly because of the way the pupils are centered. Rather, it may be because there aren't actually any pupils. You have the iris, the colored part, but without any black dots in the center, your character looks sort of weird.

Don't hurt me please

15 hours ago, SharpWind said:

As far as the pillow shading goes, it doesn't really bother me at all (unless people are referring to the face, which is facial hair) ...

Not to sound harsh, but it really doesn't look like facial hair at all, and the same goes for most of the clothing. It just looks like you applied Gaussian Blur and called it a day.

Edited by __Mine__

4 hours ago, Draco63 said:

You realize that even in real life, people's pupils don't face straight, right?

Actually, the eyes on human beings appear nearly parralel, unless you're focusing on something which is an inch away from your face. 

4 hours ago, Draco63 said:

Most of what I'm concerned about is that your characters usually have lifeless-looking expressions

If you take a look at the render, only the mage actually has a lifeless expression. The rest appear perfectly fine as far as i'm concerned. I really don't feel the need for over exaggerating the face like some people do (famous or not)

2 hours ago, AlvinTheMinecraft said:

why did you post on the forums Sharp?

why not post it on the forums? Not everybody who might be interested in the rig watch my content on youtube

1 hour ago, __Mine__ said:

It just looks like you applied Gaussian Blur and called it a day

I'm thrilled to inform you that each of the textures was crafted individually from scratch. I actually think they look pretty great; not because of the work put into them, but because I generally don't feel like anything is wrong with them (except maybe the knight's armor, that's a bit oddly-colored)

31 minutes ago, SharpWind said:

I'm thrilled to inform you that each of the textures was crafted individually from scratch. I actually think they look pretty great; not because of the work put into them, but because I generally don't feel like anything is wrong with them (except maybe the knight's armor, that's a bit oddly-colored)

If you're putting in the effort to make the textures yourself instead of using gradients and such, then why not put in the effort to learn some actual pixel art skills, like how MC textures are created?

2 minutes ago, Frost said:

If you're putting in the effort to make the textures yourself instead of using gradients and such, then why not put in the effort to learn some actual pixel art skills, like how MC textures are created?

Because that's simply how i like it