EVE Online - Heron - Caldari Exploration Frigate

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

PGqMyB4.png

more images:

Spoiler

iq9hBse.png

ZYtn8oX.png

creation process:

Spoiler

the vast majority of the objects used in this model are textured 3d planes with varying thicknesses. notable objects that aren't 3d planes are the cockpit (bent cube), hoses (bent cubes), and lights and other glowing parts (2d planes). other than that, there's really not much to it besides careful positioning. i used this website to obtain references and ensure that all of the parts were to scale, and traced my parts from screenshots of the reference

points of possible improvement:

Spoiler

my biggest gripe with the model would be the cockpit, as its triangular shape does not mix well with the rest of the shapes. if i were to remake this, i would stack multiple 3d planes on top of each other to form the cockpit, but since this is my second model i wanted to test what was possible within modelbench. i do think that making the entire model out of bent cubes would have created a more natural shape (as well as get rid of a few jaggies on the edges), but i am unsure how i would texture the sides with the inconsistencies with bent textures

more irritating things include the lights with improper render depth, as they obfuscate the model's detail at certain angles. i have tried to rectify this by creating new planes or changing the texture but to no avail. perhaps i could have made each light its own separate part and changed its render depth there, but that would make for a very unoptimized model with too many parts dedicated to one task

one more minor thing would be the inconsistencies in texturing; there are multiple parts where my shading style changes drastically. i could fix this by establishing a color pallet from the beginning and only drawing colors from there

download:

Spoiler

here is the download for anyone to use, modify, and experiment with. i do ask that you provide credit (if you do use this extremely niche model) as this took me way too long and i'm seriously kind of dead; some recognition would be nice

also modelbench won't save my image exports which is why i had to print screen my screenshots so yeah

Edited by Kwazedilla