Is their any good way you can replicate Minecraft's promo art lighting?

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Question

5 answers to this question

disable the SSAO, make the shadow quality higher, lower the blur on the shadows and for the edge glow, i'd recommend making a gradient texture to put on the edges of the character's body parts. 

nice wallpaper though! the posing is a bit stiff and the camera angle looks a bit off, but this is still good!

Edited by Cubic Ralsei

1 hour ago, Cubic Ralsei said:

disable the SSAO, make the shadow quality higher, lower the blur on the shadows and for the edge glow, i'd recommend making a gradient texture to put on the edges of the character's body parts. 

nice wallpaper though! the posing is a bit stiff and the camera angle looks a bit off, but this is still good!

Thanks for the ideas!

Yeah, i've done it before.

Spoiler

pfpnew2.png

In this render:

I used planes with a gradient texture to make the highlights/outlines. For the bright ones i used a white or yellowish-white with an add filter, for the darker ones i used a darker version of the color of the part it's on.

The lighting is all completely hand made. The dark on the side and bottom of the head, arms, body, and legs were made with dark colored planes with different opacity.

The shadow was made using a gradient texture and the alpha glitch to shape it. (I actually had to use a green screen to make it transparent because the alpha glitch broke the render with "remove background" toggled on.

3 hours ago, Jake_28 said:

Yeah, i've done it before.

Personally, I'd say those outlines and gradients are far too harsh to be Promo Art. Also, Promo Art doesn't use dark outlines at all.
That gradient outlining is more a Minecraft Earth thing than Minecraft, I think.

Just my opinion...

Edited by __Mine__

21 hours ago, __Mine__ said:

Personally, I'd say those outlines and gradients are far too harsh to be Promo Art. Also, Promo Art doesn't use dark outlines at all.
That gradient outlining is more a Minecraft Earth thing than Minecraft, I think.

Just my opinion...

It is kind of dated. If you look at my references folder (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12fxkMWd8JvCiaEW_JT6l1y6jAk3Jf_eo) you can find some promo art with dark outlines. New stuff is a lot different though..

Oh, and about the gradient outlining: look at the nether update folder. They still do that.

Edited by Jake_28
Gradient info