Parlour (4K Cinematic)

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Thank you for all the kind words! I spent a long time on this and it's nice to see it appreciated. xD

43 minutes ago, TheCollieStalks said:

you conveyed the mood of being in a warm house on a stormy day perfectly!

how many light sources did you use for the edge glow? and did you use bleed light? 

Thank you! So for the lighting, I had one big main spotlight for the interior and one for the exterior. Then I had a point light for everything that required one, so the lantern, candles, and fire. The fire had one point light and a spotlight for the main shadow casting, and a different spotlight for that glow on the chimney. 

In total I think that's:

4 spotlights

3 point lights

Also no bleed light was used besides the default foliage light bleed on the outside scene.

If it helps, some tricks I employed were:

• Scaling everything up to (at least) 5.
  • Set all light buffer sizes to gigantic.
  • Don't use default sunlight, it's too tough to work with and generally looks worse than spotlights.
  • Use spotlights! Point lights are useful for the smaller things but spotlights help cover the big picture.
  • Don't forget that both point lights and spotlights have color options, they can fill in that ambient color as well. ;)
  • The camera now has many effects and they are extremely useful, my favorites that I usually use are:
    • Depth of field - even a tiny amount adds that extra bit of detail (there are ways to have both foreground and background out of focus, used a bit in this render).
      • Transparency* is a tough cookie and I recommend avoiding it if possible, because DOF will not work with it. The windows in this render aren't transparent, they literally aren't there. Only the border and little dots on the edges are on the texture.
    • Bloom - don't go overboard with this. The bloom used in this render was to get the book page to shine a tiny bit.
    • Lens dirt - Also don't overuse. In this render it adds a little sparkle around the candles.
    • Color correction - I mostly use this to get a small amount of vibrance to my renders, but if you want a colder feeling go for less vibrance and saturation.
    • I also make the field of view smaller, usually 30 or less.

*When I say transparency I mean slight transparency or low opacity. A texture must be fully transparent to work, no slightly transparent pixels.

22 hours ago, Dr. Nexil said:

Thank you for all the kind words! I spent a long time on this and it's nice to see it appreciated. xD

Thank you! So for the lighting, I had one big main spotlight for the interior and one for the exterior. Then I had a point light for everything that required one, so the lantern, candles, and fire. The fire had one point light and a spotlight for the main shadow casting, and a different spotlight for that glow on the chimney. 

In total I think that's:

4 spotlights

3 point lights

Also no bleed light was used besides the default foliage light bleed on the outside scene.

If it helps, some tricks I employed were:

• Scaling everything up to (at least) 5.
  • Set all light buffer sizes to gigantic.
  • Don't use default sunlight, it's too tough to work with and generally looks worse than spotlights.
  • Use spotlights! Point lights are useful for the smaller things but spotlights help cover the big picture.
  • Don't forget that both point lights and spotlights have color options, they can fill in that ambient color as well. ;)
  • The camera now has many effects and they are extremely useful, my favorites that I usually use are:
    • Depth of field - even a tiny amount adds that extra bit of detail (there are ways to have both foreground and background out of focus, used a bit in this render).
      • Transparency* is a tough cookie and I recommend avoiding it if possible, because DOF will not work with it. The windows in this render aren't transparent, they literally aren't there. Only the border and little dots on the edges are on the texture.
    • Bloom - don't go overboard with this. The bloom used in this render was to get the book page to shine a tiny bit.
    • Lens dirt - Also don't overuse. In this render it adds a little sparkle around the candles.
    • Color correction - I mostly use this to get a small amount of vibrance to my renders, but if you want a colder feeling go for less vibrance and saturation.
    • I also make the field of view smaller, usually 30 or less.

*When I say transparency I mean slight transparency or low opacity. A texture must be fully transparent to work, no slightly transparent pixels.

useful! any mi user that hopes to improve their renders should look at this quote