how to create the edge glow effect?

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Question

I have been trying to do the edge glow effect with the spot lights technique but all I get is the character being lit up and not what is intended to happen. Is there any other possible trick for this to work,like is there anything else other than using spot lights? 

I got inspired by Batman 4014's latest animations in which the the edge glow effect is present. I want to get a similar kind of effect.

1 answer to this question

Edge glow can be a bit hard to perfect for animation, since you usually have to create very precise subject lighting. It simply isn't practical for animation, and although it can give you a cool effect, it demolishes detail in the shadows and creates more glitchy lighting than necessary.

Most users I know have since perfected rim light (using light bleed), which, in my opinion, looks better, and barely has any visible lighting glitches if you do it properly.