Tone mapping In Mine-imator

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

What is Tone Mapping?

Tone mapping is a technique used in image processing and computer graphics to map one set of colors to another to approximate the appearance of high-dynamic-range images in a medium that has a more limited dynamic range.

How it Can Be Used?

I use different forms of tone mapping when making games, yes I work of making games, and I use tone mapping all the time to increase the visuals of my game and art I use giving it a more "realistic" tone.

Examples?

In these examples I will be using Unity to show you what it could do, I only used post-processing features that are present in Mine-imator thus far with no external photo editor to "enhance" the images I am about to show you.

No Tone Mapping

Spoiler

ZXnpm2q.png

Neutral Tone Mapping

Spoiler

qtDOrdz.png

ACES Tone Mapping

Spoiler

ZFyUUY9.png

ACES Filmic Tone Mapping Curve. ... ACES color encoding system was designed for seamless working with color images regardless of input or output color space. It also features a carefully crafted filmic curve for displaying HDR images on LDR output devices. 

Note :

It can give it more of a realistic tone, and is the one I personally use when making games.

Closing

I have worked on Game Maker Studio, and I think it's amazing on what the developers of Mine-Imator was able to do with it to make this software, but I don't know if something like this will be possible within GMS and if it is, I think it will greatly improve it and the designs of the Mine-Imator community!

Edited by SourlessCream
i used quotes instead of spoilers ._. and wrong font for closing

Coincidentally, I started looking into this earlier today. I tried out ACES and it does improve image quality pretty well and gives realistic results(Almost looks like you're using SEUS or some other shader pack using tonemapping.), though things like the sky and fog get desaturated a fair bit because Mine-imator doesn't work with HDR.(GameMaker limitation). I'll show it off in a future dev update if I can work out some inconveniences with it and it gets added.

that is a weird coincidence...  i laughed when I read it and im glad to hear that this idea has, at for the most part, a chance of being added to mine-imator on some level, even if it would be the most basic form it could be...  and i am also glad to hear it from you, which would be the most reliable source in the mineimator community on whats in the future of well mineimator!