Pixel Inconsistency and You

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Pixel consistency, something we can all agree that is an important part of any pixel based media. When someone isnt consistent with pixels it usually looks bad but Im here to argue that you can easily get away with pixel inconsistency in minecraft and here's why.

1. Minecraft is already pixel inconsistent.

You may argue with me about this but I have my case. Many mobs in the game should either have more or less pixels. For example, the Ghast is quite a large mob but the pixel count isnt very much. The same goes for the Bat and the Vex, they are small but they have quite a bit of detail in their texture. Here's a good image for a visual example.

2. Getting away with it.

Now just because Minecraft is already inconsistent doesn't mean you can get away with it. When you play Minecraft, the inconsistencies arent quite noticeable and this is good. The reason it isnt noticeable is because the fact that it looks consistent, even if it isnt. When you look at a Ghast you dont see that it doesnt fit in in the consistency. Here are some examples of pixel inconsistencies and how they work or dont.

Example 1: @NotChris

Spoiler

The mouth is inconsistent but not distracting and that's why it works. That's why a Ghast or a Bat can get away with it. When something is distracting, then it becomes and issue. This is subtle enough to fit the style of inconsistent minecraft while still being inconsistent itself. 

Example 2: Industrial Craft 2 
This may be a bit controversial for those modders out there but this has always bothered me as soon as I saw it. IC2 was consistent with the game at point. Image below.

Spoiler

IndustrialCraft Mod for Minecraft 1.12.2/1.11.2 | MinecraftSix

But they went from these nice consistent textures to this next one below.

Spoiler

Getting Started - Industrial Craft 2 Mod 1.12: Blast Furnace ...

Ive always found this so distracting. Some of the pixels on a single block isnt even consistent and it doesnt fit at all with the core style of the game. 

In the end I think pixel inconsistency is okay in your minecraft animation if it isnt distracting. As long as you are able to make it work, I think it should be fine.

Anyway thank you for coming to my ted talk.