Dev update #18: 1.3.0 - Lighting

On 3/22/2020 at 2:01 AM, Nimi said:

Greetings everyone! In this dev update, I'll be covering a handful of new features I've been working on for Mine-imator 1.3.0.

However, before we dive into the following eye candy, I want to mention that due to the sheer size of this update, its official release is not in the near future-- and doesn't have an ETA. Unlike the past two updates, 1.1.0 and 1.2.0, this update includes a variety of goals. This includes an effort to improve rendering, animation workflow, and the interface along with adding new features that may come with them. Though during development, I'll be posting dev updates more often to give insight on how development is going. With that being said, this post will highlight a couple of the first big improvements to come to the update. Renders used in this dev update were made by @Hozq.

Lighting improvements

The way lighting is applied to objects has changed in 1.3.0. Before, ambiance only affected dark areas, but now, ambiance is applied more accurately to the scene by being applied additively to pre-existing lighting in the scene. This allows for brighter scenes and improves the appearance of dark areas such as areas with AO.

Hide contents

1.2.6.png

Lighting in Mine-imator 1.2.6

1.3.png

Lighting in Mine-imator 1.3.0

Changes to shadows

Shadows are getting a significant upgrade in 1.3.0. Previously, shadows used a method that would blur all shadows in the scene. Now, shadows are rendered multiple times determined by a new samples setting that scatters the shadow maps of lights around, allowing for shadows to be harder near its caster, and softer the further away it is. (Also to clear up a misconception, this is not PCSS. :teehee:)

An improvement was also made to the way sun shadows are cast, allowing the sun to act as a proper directional light in the scene.

Hide contents

1.2.6.png

Shadows in Mine-imator 1.2.6

1.3.png

Shadows in Mine-imator 1.3.0, using 32 samples

Volumetric rays

This feature has been requested many times over the past few years, and is finally being added to 1.3.0. However due to (technical) restrictions, the rays are only available for the sun. These rays are not rendered in screen-space and will appear even if the sun is not in-frame.

Hide contents

Volumetrics.png

As mentioned before, rendering isn't the only aspect of Mine-imator that will be getting improvements though however, that's the first part of this update I'll be tackling so it may be a while till other features are shown off. Until next time!

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

2 minutes ago, Арес said:

When?

Previously 1.3.0 was planned for late summer to be released along side Minecraft's Caves & Cliffs update, however with the bigger and more technical side of the update being delayed, 1.3.0 will be delayed as well, I don't know the new ETA for the update as of right now.

12 hours ago, Nimi said:

Previously 1.3.0 was planned for late summer to be released along side Minecraft's Caves & Cliffs update, however with the bigger and more technical side of the update being delayed, 1.3.0 will be delayed as well, I don't know the new ETA for the update as of right now.

Hey! You and your team have done a lot into this already.
Take your time. I'm in absolutely no rush.

I'm just feelin some Bug in the MI Software. Especially when Animating. When I moved the timeline heads into a keyframe Diamond shapes, Then change some settings in it, then hen I play the Animations. The Keyframe still the same like nothing happen. To fix this I must double click on the keyframe, then play around with it till it looks fine while playing Animations.

Edited by LacaMenDRY
Typos.

On 5/18/2021 at 11:27 AM, Nimi said:

oh, thanks

9 hours ago, Aric Horn said:

Hey Nimi since 1.3.0 is delayed will there be a mine-imator 1.2.8 for those 1.17 assets and I understand there won't be a 1.2.8 so I'm stuck with these terrible bugs, will this be a good idea?

Yes, though not all bugfixes in 1.3.0 will be backported for 1.2.8. *Mainly* things related to supporting 1.17.

This is great and all, but when are we getting that performance update.. cause atm with relatively medium sized rigs, its dogshite. Even with objects hidden the lag is still there. Hiding the stuff is meant to improve FPS no?

16 minutes ago, TheVale said:

This is great and all, but when are we getting that performance update.. cause atm with relatively medium sized rigs, its dogshite. Even with objects hidden the lag is still there. Hiding the stuff is meant to improve FPS no?

But it some cases, I've been hidin a lots of un working objecta, and MI atill running just fine. the perfomance is Increased.

7 minutes ago, LacaMenDRY said:

But it some cases, I've been hidin a lots of un working objecta, and MI atill running just fine. the perfomance is Increased.

But it hasn't. And before someone says to upgrade my hardware, my hardware is fine. I have task manager running and I monitor everything going on whilst the program is running. It isn't even utilising my GPU at all, even when I tell it to. My CPU rarely goes over 60% usage, and my ram is fine. 

There is some serious bottlenecking problems with the program which need sorting out before another major FEATURE update is released. Performance should be priority right now.

4 hours ago, TheVale said:

But it hasn't. And before someone says to upgrade my hardware, my hardware is fine. I have task manager running and I monitor everything going on whilst the program is running. It isn't even utilising my GPU at all, even when I tell it to. My CPU rarely goes over 60% usage, and my ram is fine. 

There is some serious bottlenecking problems with the program which need sorting out before another major FEATURE update is released. Performance should be priority right now.

Yes. I Agree with you. 

16 hours ago, Aric Horn said:

Hey I have an Idea on what Nimi can do if any of your GPU have problems
Redesign System Requirements (Like edit the font and make add some text for what GPU you need to run Mine-imator) I use GeForce GT 1030 and Mine-imator is running good
this should help a lot of people to see if mine-imator can run on people's pcs

I have a GTX 960 2GB, prior to this I had a GTX 750 1GB. Mineimator runs fine on both. Its only with more detailed scenes where is the program (not the card) starts to vomit

1 hour ago, TheVale said:

I have a GTX 960 2GB, prior to this I had a GTX 750 1GB. Mineimator runs fine on both. Its only with more detailed scenes where is the program (not the card) starts to vomit

That is a fact.

On 6/21/2021 at 11:33 PM, TheVale said:

Even with a 3090 RTX the program would cause a FPS drop. See:

https://www.mineimatorforums.com/index.php?/topic/84884-what-exactly-makes-framerate-so-bad/&do=findComment&comment=849898

Edited by moniker

2 hours ago, moniker said:

It's mostly the software the program was made in and the way it was programmed (if I am correct).