Dev update #18: 1.3.0 - Lighting

28 minutes ago, Jake_28 said:

Isn't ray tracing just tracking simulated photons and simulating how they interact with objects? Like, lets say a light source emits photons with momentum in all directions. They follow a line, and if it hits an object that is opaque it stops (which makes shadows), if it hits a transparent object, it has a percentage chance to be stopped based on the transparency, if it hits a reflective object it bounces off, etc? If it is then i'd think it would be possible.

That's the deal, but because of that it is remarkably slow. I wrote an embryonic raytracer (really a raycaster) capable of drawing spheres (which comes quite easily with raytracing because math or something) with no shading. It ran on a single thread of my CPU and it was remarkably slow. MI would have to work with the same resources but also with a RAM limit (given my lack of knowledge on raytracers I'm not sure how that'd play out) and it'd have to render planes, cubes, textures, the new advanced lighting features and all that. Theoretically it'd be possible to use external libraries for some of that but that's not within Nimi's expertise and it'd probably be a pain to work on either way.

It's funny how many people seriously think adding ray-tracing is so trivial when in reality, not only is it beyond the scope of the program, but it would also very likely have to run on the CPU, of which GameMaker can effectively only use one core, which would make rendering too slow to make it worthwhile.

23 minutes ago, Spontaneous Explosions said:

Would other forms of reflections and lighting be the same case? Such as rasterization?

There are two forms of reflections that could be added if such a feature was to be considered. One would be specular highlights from light sources, the other would be screen-space reflections.

Add PBR shader
https://github.com/GameMakerDiscord/PBR_shader_GMS2

On 3/21/2020 at 10:01 PM, Nimi said:

However, before we dive into the following eye candy, I want to mention that due to the sheer size of this update, its official release is not in the near future-- and doesn't have an ETA.

Why don't you start to publicly release testing versions (like minecraft snapshots)?  I think the community will test and help with fixing bugs. It'll draw more attention to the Mine-Imator. Perhaps there will be those who will help with such a great deal of work.
Will the source code be posted on github?

My suggestion: Custom Render Settings on each models. It is convenient in a situation when you need a different AO or Glow size on different blocks.

Will peformance ever get any better? I can't even get 10 minutes of animation without seeing a big decrease in smoothness as I write more keyframes. I have one of the most powerful CPUs on the market (the new Threadrippers) with a 1080 ti and 64 megs of ram and still refuses to work smoothly after the update, this is insanity. I can't believe having like a small horde of 10 - 15 zombies walking in a straight line makes the program struggle because of the keyframes. It's ultimately Minecraft models. CPU usage is at like 5%. RAM and GPU usage are always pretty small, yet the program becomes unsmooth and yes im talking about work mode, im not working with the render on.

Edited by moniker

4 hours ago, moniker said:

Will peformance ever get any better? I can't even get 10 minutes of animation without seeing a big decrease in smoothness as I write more keyframes. I have one of the most powerful CPUs on the market (the new Threadrippers) with a 1080 ti and 64 megs of ram and still refuses to work smoothly after the update, this is insanity. I can't believe having like a small horde of 10 - 15 zombies walking in a straight line makes the program struggle because of the keyframes. It's ultimately Minecraft models. CPU usage is at like 5%. RAM and GPU usage are always pretty small, yet the program becomes unsmooth and yes im talking about work mode, im not working with the render on.

Are you fantasizing about a world with no lag the more objects you add to a scene? That will never happen with the technology we currently have, let alone a low budget Minecraft animation program created in a 2D engine. Mine-imator lags; you can't escape it. If you're interested in large projects with less lag, I suggest blender, which is initially very light on performance and is built (correct me if I'm wrong) from the ground up. It also uses 64 bit rather than capping at 32. 

Edited by 9redwoods

20 hours ago, 9redwoods said:

Are you fantasizing about a world with no lag the more objects you add to a scene? That will never happen with the technology we currently have, let alone a low budget Minecraft animation program created in a 2D engine. Mine-imator lags; you can't escape it. If you're interested in large projects with less lag, I suggest blender, which is initially very light on performance and is built (correct me if I'm wrong) from the ground up. It also uses 64 bit rather than capping at 32. 

The problem is Gamemaker is garbage. If Mineimator was ported into a proper engine we wouldn't have to deal with this nonsense. My computer should be able to move 20 blocky models running at 60fps in any reasonable software. Blender is unfortunately too complex to use. I like the ease of use of Mineimator and the fact that it looks like Vanilla Minecraft, however, the performance is just terrible. Throw in a couple schematics, 15 or 20 models, animate for 10 minutes and you can't no longer have smooth playback in a high end 2020 CPU. Nuts.

Edited by moniker

17 minutes ago, moniker said:

The problem is Gamemaker is garbage. If Mineimator was ported into a proper engine we wouldn't have to deal with this nonsense. My computer should be able to move 20 blocky models running at 60fps in any reasonable software. Blender is unfortunately too complex to use. I like the ease of use of Mineimator and the fact that it looks like Vanilla Minecraft, however, the performance is just terrible. Throw in a couple schematics, 15 or 20 models, animate for 10 minutes and you can't no longer have smooth playback in a high end 2020 CPU. Nuts.

Nimi isn't rewriting MI. Someone may in the future, but it's a slim chance. MI is limited to GameMaker's capabilities. Sorry you don't like that, but it's nobody's fault.