Dev update #18: 1.3.0 - Lighting

14 minutes ago, ItzMichaelPhillips said:

Are you guys also gonna fix the compatibility issues with .JSON models? For some reason my .JSON models work in Mine-imator 1.1.4, but they refuse to work in newer versions.

that why model bench is here

3 hours ago, ItzMichaelPhillips said:

Are you guys also gonna fix the compatibility issues with .JSON models? For some reason my .JSON models work in Mine-imator 1.1.4, but they refuse to work in newer versions.

Can you provide a download to a .json file that doesn't work in recent versions?

42 minutes ago, Heavenira said:

I wouldn't say so. Considering all that's been done to Mine-imator, ray tracing doesn't seem that far off.

Eh well, i guess i can kinda see your point but if you've got background information like me then you'd probably see that ray tracing is still pretty far away.

Edited by Hozq

5 hours ago, JB Animations said:

@Nimi But you will be able to get past the technical restrictions Gamemaker has for volumetric light rays in the future right?right?????

Probably not.

2 hours ago, Heavenira said:

Is ray tracing in the tables for MI?

No.

1 hour ago, Hozq said:

Eh well, i guess i can kinda see your point but if you've got background information like me then you'd probably see that ray tracing is still pretty far away.

Ray tracers are a dime a dozen today, hobbyists create ray tracers all the time. It would be a great challenge to implement (not in real-time of course, but for final renders). It is super plausible.

5 minutes ago, Heavenira said:

Ray tracers are a dime a dozen today, hobbyists create ray tracers all the time. It would be a great challenge to implement (not in real-time of course, but for final renders). It is super plausible.

"Hobbyists create ray tracers all the time"

But do they do it in GM though? lmao

Isn't ray tracing just tracking simulated photons and simulating how they interact with objects? Like, lets say a light source emits photons with momentum in all directions. They follow a line, and if it hits an object that is opaque it stops (which makes shadows), if it hits a transparent object, it has a percentage chance to be stopped based on the transparency, if it hits a reflective object it bounces off, etc? If it is then i'd think it would be possible.