Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

This has been my little project over the past week or so. I haven't seen anyone take on the task of making a movie accurate R2-D2 rig, with all of his gadgets so I figured I'd give it my go! He's based specifically off of the original Radio Controlled model seen in A New Hope, hence the black and blue holo-projector in the front and the single silver panel in the back.
Also, yes. This is in work in progress, because you need a download to put it in rigs, and I'm also not sure yet if I want to release him, but I did want to show him around.

So far, he features the following.
-Fully animated (Rotating dome, moving legs, etc)
-All doors open (even ones that don't open in the movies!)
-All gadgets (Minus ones from Clone Wars or his Rocket Boosters. Minecraft flames wouldn't look right!)
-Authentic Light systems (The logic screens are animated, and his light fades out like it's supposed to.)
-Third leg (It wouldn't be Artoo without it.)

His planned accessories are:
-Parascope  (Seen in The Empire Strikes Back when he falls into the swamp)
-Life Form Scanner (Seen in The Empire Strikes Back in the beginning when they wait for Luke)
-Buzz Saw (Used in return of the Jedi, to free the heroes from the net trap)
-Gripper Arm (He uses this arm to fight Yoda over the flashlight)
-CPU Arm (The arm he uses to plug into doors and control panels)
-Taser (In multiple movies, though most noticeably used in Revenge of the Sith, to kill the buzz droid)
-Drink Server (Return of the Jedi, Jabbas Sail Barge)
-Side Arms (I believe he uses these to press a button in A New Hope but I could be mistaken. You should be able to find them in a reference.)

Have a look for yourself!

Spoiler

V4CTV5z.pnghDxOjrY.pngrqshAEt.pngvS7JWq2.pngXipMpVo.pngbQvZSqe.gif 

Side Note, this gif is very old. Notice his lack of details in the side of his foot, and the shoulder.  He also had the gripper arm in the wrong location, and no CPU arm. The prior pictures are updated images of the model. I'm just reusing this rushed gif to show off his movements and whatnot.

Have some bonus shots of R2-D2 in jeopardy, and with my other unfinished rig, BB-8.
iggYNGv.pngUDgGR9Q.png

2 hours ago, YoshiHunter said:

Holy crap this is amazing!

Thank you! He's been really fun to work on, especially since there haven't been any realistic ones done so far. I prefer to make realistic ones, as oppose to pixelated or blocky models. 

3 hours ago, Draco63 said:

what the what

:D

14 hours ago, MojangYang said:

idk why but it lookes like a valve game model

I like it

I can see that! I tried to get him to look realistic, however it's based heavily upon his BattleFront 1 appearance, which doe grant him a bit of a game-like appearance.