Modelbench 1.1.5

3 hours ago, Just Philip said:

how do i move the camera? because i have no idea how to, and it doesnt say how in the controls.

The controls were changed to use the middle mouse button, as left-click and dragging is used to draw selection boxes instead. Though it doesn't seem to sit well with a lot of users, so an option will be added to revert back to the left mouse button instead.

4 hours ago, Korbs said:

Great to see Blender support.

It's not just Blender either. Any program that allows you to load in .obj files will work.

Edited by Voxy

Sorry, but I'm really not a fan of the camera controls and box selection, to be honest...

As one of the (apparently very few?) people here who doesn't use Blender, I'm finding the camera controls really confusing, constantly forgetting that left-click no longer orbits the camera like it used to and like it does in Mine-imator.
Additionally, right-click now no longer does anything, which is very odd and feels like a bit of a waste of functionality.
Personally, I'd prefer Left-click = orbit, Middle-click = Pan, Right-click = box select, but that's just me and it's very likely everyone would disagree with this...

Also, making any decently-large box selection completely freezes Modelbench for a full six seconds, even when there's nothing at all in the viewport.

Edited by __Mine__

Sorry, i can't understand the intention of change which use the middle button to control the camera.Because the middle button is more difficult to click than the left or right button.It makes sense.

Maybe this change is good for someone who use other software,such as blender.

But for the vast majority of pure mineimator and modelbench users(like me and many of my friends),this change is disastrous.We felt more trouble than ever before.There is even talk of abandoning mineiamtor and modelbench.Personally, I think this change is a little dangerous

I understand you want modelbench to be more like other mainstream modeling software.That is good.But i think modelbench should keep more of you own characteristic.And take more care to modelbench's own users.I'm sure our won't be a small group and there will be many more like me.

I recommend keeping the old navigation controls rather than removing it.Since some people like the new and others like the old, why not add an option which can switch between the old and new controls.

After all,modelbench is primarily an accessory software to the mineimator.Its navigation control similar to mineimator is more appropriate(Isn't it?)

2 hours ago, Namsake said:

-snip-

As said above, this will be addressed in an upcoming patch, which will add an option to orbit and pan the camera with the left mouse button, as well as adding back walk mode (though it will work a bit differently, not requiring to hold down the right mouse button to make it easier to use)

Also, while currently the controls are indeed different, they will be ported over in the next Mine-imator update, so see it as an opportunity to get the hang of the new controls. :)

7 minutes ago, Voxy said:

Also, while currently the controls are indeed different, they will be ported over in the next Mine-imator update, ...

Any chance this could be optional? I'm really not looking forward to that at all... ;n;

Not everyone uses Blender.

Edited by __Mine__

2 minutes ago, Voxy said:

As said above, this will be addressed in an upcoming patch, which will add an option to orbit and pan the camera with the left mouse button, as well as adding back walk mode (though it will work a bit differently, not requiring to hold down the right mouse button to make it easier to use)

Also, while currently the controls are indeed different, they will be ported over in the next Mine-imator update, so see it as an opportunity to get the hang of the new controls. :)

Voxy, porting over only the new controls into the next Mine-imator is a horrible choice. That change would mess up literally everyones workflow and using MI after that would be hell. Either add the toggle for MI too when it's done, or something, but please DO NOT add the Blender controls only!

3 minutes ago, __Mine__ said:

Any chance this could be optional? I'm not looking forward to that at all... ;n;

2 minutes ago, SoundsDotZip said:

Voxy, porting over only the new controls into the next Mine-imator is a horrible choice. That change would mess up literally everyones workflow and using MI after that would be hell. Either add the toggle for MI too when it's done, or something, but please DO NOT add the Blender controls only!

7 minutes ago, Voxy said:

...which will add an option to orbit and pan the camera with the left mouse button, as well as adding back walk mode (though it will work a bit differently, not requiring to hold down the right mouse button to make it easier to use)

Yeah, but:

11 minutes ago, Voxy said:

Also, while currently the controls are indeed different, they will be ported over in the next Mine-imator update, so see it as an opportunity to get the hang of the new controls.

This makes it seem like we have to get used to the new controls, because that's what MI is gonna have later.

Edited by SoundsDotZip

Just now, SoundsDotZip said:

Yeah, but:

This makes it seem like we have to get used to the new controls, because that's what MI is gonna have later.

I dont see why your complaining. MI is getting some new controls to make it seem slightly more professional. Im personally on board with this.

1 minute ago, Slime said:

I dont see why your complaining. MI is getting some new controls to make it seem slightly more professional. Im personally on board with this.

The thing is, I've been using MI and MB for years now and this sudden change of controls is really throwing me off.

Also, these are the default Blender controls, but I changed my controls to be like Cinema4D, which is:
Alt+Left Click = Orbit
Alt+Middle Click = Pan
Alt+Right Click = Smooth zoom

So even tho I use Blender, the new controls are still throwing me off.

3 minutes ago, SoundsDotZip said:

Yeah, but:

Yes, because the walk controls will be slightly different. There's also camera panning alongside orbiting. Mine-imator is going to get the option to switch between the two control schemes.

Reading isn't y'all thing, is it? ?

9 minutes ago, Voxy said:

Reading isn't y'all thing, is it?

It's just that what you said had implied that the switch would only be coming to MB and that MI would only be getting the new controls, given that you'd said we needed to "get used to the new controls". We simply misunderstood what you'd said...

People can misunderstand things. That remark wasn't necessary and is kind-of rude...

Edited by __Mine__

4 minutes ago, __Mine__ said:

It's just that what you said had implied that the switch would only be coming to MB and that MI would only be getting the new controls.

Except that... no? I didn't imply that anywhere.

Also, it's kinda annoying to still see complaints guilting us saying they'll stop using the program because of the new controls when just a few posts above it's literally written that this will be fixed so it's easy to lose patience. ?‍♂️

Edited by Voxy

2 hours ago, iiKiraTheCuteCat said:

Exporting .obj files is great, but what about importing .obj files?

Would be pointless.MI lacks bones so we could not even use the imported models.If its for stuff like maps it would be nice but prob would lag.If it for small props we can prob already do it in MB

7 hours ago, Voxy said:

OK,that is a judicious decision that add an option which can switch between the old and new controls.But i still feel a bit despirted when i see you say the new controls will be ported to mineimator.

Why me and some other people don't like the new controls?Not we are too lazy to adapt the new,but it's more difficult to use than is used to be even if we adapt it.

Read some of the responses above,i have a general idea of what you want to do with this change.I consider every change of the MI or MB should be to let everybody use better,not to make the software look more high-end.Making it more high-end is good, but it shouldn't be built on more difficulty to use of the MI or MB.Don't attend to trifles and neglect the essentials .

As a 5 years MI user and a long-time MB user.I am very worried when I see that my  favorite software is going further and further down the wrong path.I respect all decisions made by the production team.But I also have a duty to warn production team when I see something is wrong as a old user whose will continue to use in the futrue.

Edited by Namsake

1 minute ago, Namsake said:

OK,that is a judicious decision that add an option which can switch between the old and new controls.But i still feel a bit despirted when i see you say the new controls will be ported to mineimator.

Why me and some other people don't like the new controls?Not we are too lazy to adapt the new,but it's more difficult to use than is used to be.

Read some of the responses above,i have a general idea of what you want to do with this change.I consider every change of the MI or MB should be to let everybody use better,not to make the software look more high-end.Making it more high-end is good, but it shouldn't be built on more difficulty to use of the MI or MB.Don't attend to trifles and neglect the essentials .

As a 5 years MI user and a long-time MB user.I am very worried when I see that my  favorite software is going further and further down the wrong path.I respect all decisions made by the production team.But I also have a duty to warn production team when I see something is wrong as a old user whose will continue to use in the futrue.

Again, I already made it clear in the posts above that porting the new set of camera tools over to Mine-imator also entails adding in the option to stick with the old controls as well. I thought it would've been obvious, after all, it makes no sense to add it on Modelbench but not on Mine-imator.

I think this is being blown out of proportions a tad. I get change is difficult, and it's true that we shouldn't have messed with people's muscle memory, but we've got a history of listening to user feedback and addressing any issues so this really isn't the end of times.