Minepets #1: It Always Begins With The Screaming + Character Bios

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Hey guys! So because I never post on here anymore, I wanted to change that around a bit. This is the comic I've been making for about a month and a half I believe, and posting it other places, but not here! It is based on Rick Griffin's Housepets!, which is another comic. Since nobody knows what that is or the characters, I'll give a bio on each character as they come, so you guys can at least get the joke sort of some of the time.

Peanut

Spoiler

PeanutSmall

Peanut is ultra-enthusiastic with most everything he does, which mostly consists of playing ALL KINDS of games. On top of that, he’s an extraordinarily fast reader (though whether he’s a fast learner is up for debate).

Peanut is usually portrayed as generally energetic and happy. He has shown to be innocent and somewhat slow on the uptake at times, yet he has a kind and caring personality. Peanut can be naive, though not too gullible, but commonly relies on Grape to explain something for him.

Peanut lives with Grape, and has a crush on her, despite the fact that she’s a cat. Recognizing this hasn’t stopped him from waking her up from her nap while in a panic, which he does quite often. He also has a girlfriend named Tarot who came to him under extremely odd circumstances. He is also okay with this.

Grape

Spoiler

GrapeSmall

Even though she’s younger, she often acts as the big sister to Peanut, given that she’ll refrain from hurting him even if he’s bothersome (for the most part) and even try to intervene on his behalf. This is part of what gets Grape into trouble so often.

She has ongoing disputes with the neighborhood dogs, mostly out of her disdain for them, but also because she can dance circles around them for fun, and rarely get much more than an angry stare or attempted beat-down. She can’t do anything about the balance of power, but it doesn’t matter to her, it’s just something else to pass the time.

Looking at Grape from the outside, she doesn't seem to be as outgoing as her brother Peanut. But given the proper moments, she has proven to be brave and creative, though she's mostly sassy and sarcastic. She's not above resorting to violence and threats to fix problems however.

Her boyfriend is Maxwell and they make much snuggles. (I copy-pasted this from the website don't blame me)

eLR65hyV_o.png

sSj2eR8p_o.png

Just now, Mineshaft Animation said:

If he did and you understand it mind explaining it?

Theres no need to. The characters are explained really well in the bios he provided, AND he said what the comic series it was based off is. So you saying there's no context makes no sense.

Just now, Slime said:

Theres no need to. The characters are explained really well in the bios he provided, AND he said what the comic series it was based off is. So you saying there's no context makes no sense.

he means, what happened, how they got there u dummy dumb.

1 minute ago, Slime said:

I've read it multiple times. All I see is a bunch of bios explaining characters and not explaining what the hell this story is all about. So if you understand it, then explain it to me. I want to know what's going on here.

28 minutes ago, Mineshaft Animation said:

I've read it multiple times. All I see is a bunch of bios explaining characters and not explaining what the hell this story is all about. So if you understand it, then explain it to me. I want to know what's going on here.

Have you considered that maybe I haven't revealed it yet on purpose? I mean, there's a pretty big clue when she wakes up and starts screaming, because wow, suddenly she's in Minecraft instead of her own world. It's the first comic in the series, I don't have to tell exactly what is going on right away.

Edited by Hagus

44 minutes ago, Hagus said:

Have you considered that maybe I haven't revealed it yet on purpose? I mean, there's a pretty big clue when she wakes up and starts screaming, because wow, suddenly she's in Minecraft instead of her own world. It's the first comic in the series, I don't have to tell exactly what is going on right away.

Then you’ve lost my interest and possibly other’s interests. Shortass comic with no context to the story at first site is a bad idea.

15 minutes ago, Mineshaft Animation said:

Then you’ve lost my interest and possibly other’s interests. Shortass comic with no context to the story at first site is a bad idea.

Sorry to hear this. Enjoy the rest of your day! :D

18 minutes ago, Mineshaft Animation said:

Sheesh. Don't judge a book by it's cover. This could turn out to be a really good comic series later in life. Don't instantly think something is gonna be bad because the first few pages of the comic are short and don't give context. Just give it time.

6 minutes ago, Just Philip said:

Sheesh. Don't judge a book by it's cover. This could turn out to be a really good comic series later in life. Don't instantly think something is gonna be bad because the first few pages of the comic are short and don't give context. Just give it time.

Never said it was bad. I said it’s a bad IDEA to leave no context for the first part. I expected something long, like how he usually make them. But instead, I see a 3 paged “comic” that looks rushed. No effort whatsoever. If you actually took classes related to film making or making something else like comics or animation you’d see the problem with this.

1 minute ago, Mineshaft Animation said:

Never said it was bad. I said it’s a bad IDEA to leave no context for the first part. I expected something long, like how he usually make them. But instead, I see a 3 paged “comic” that looks rushed. No effort whatsoever. If you actually took classes related to film making or making something else like comics or animation you’d see the problem with this.

Don't have to be so harsh about it though. It's only the beginning of the comic series. I know it ain't my work, but like I said, give it time. 

8 minutes ago, Mineshaft Animation said:

So many people always complained about it not being in comic form. If you want, I can put several episodes together in one post to give more content at once, but that means you'll have to wait longer in between posts once I run out of ones that are already done.

3 minutes ago, Just Philip said:

Don't have to be so harsh about it though. It's only the beginning of the comic series. I know it ain't my work, but like I said, give it time. 

I wasn’t harsh until some butthurt forumers came in trying to defend something that should’ve been worked on more. And frankly, I don’t want another forum war. So this ends right here.

1 minute ago, Hagus said:

So many people always complained about it not being in comic form. If you want, I can put several episodes together in one post to give more content at once, but that means you'll have to wait longer in between posts once I run out of ones that are already done.

I don’t care about waiting too long. Make it in a way where it makes sense if you can. 

7 minutes ago, Mineshaft Animation said:

I wasn’t harsh until some butthurt forumers came in trying to defend something that should’ve been worked on more. And frankly, I don’t want another forum war. So this ends right here.

Ouch. Sorry for not living up to the expectations. I'd say it's an improvement from Forest Heights but if you are that impatient that you can't just wait, for context and an explanation then that's kind of sad. I also don't want another war (although I could make a forum wars of it...) but I don't think you should just come in not only say the comic is a bad idea, but then start attacking the people who are trying to stand with me on this. The context is the characters get sent into an mc survival world. They don't know why. Is that good enough for you?

Edited by Hagus

24 minutes ago, Mineshaft Animation said:

Take your own pill; If you did the same, you'd understand that a comedy is different than a thriller and a romance is different than an action. They all use different methods and different styles to establish their story arcs. The Matrix had no backstory and we just started off following Neo, meanwhile Star Wars opened up with a long wall of text and that was your backstory. TwoKinds opened up without a backstory, and the backstory was slowly brought in throughout the comic. I think you're just being a narrowminded prick with his head up his arse who just likes hating everything because it isn't what you want or because it's different.

Edited by Eliphaz

10 minutes ago, Eliphaz said:

Take your own pill; If you did the same, you'd understand that a comedy is different than a thriller and a romance is different than an action. They all use different methods and different styles to establish their story arcs. The Matrix had no backstory and we just started off following Neo, meanwhile Star Wars opened up with a long wall of text and that was your backstory. TwoKinds opened up without a backstory, and the backstory was slowly brought in throughout the comic. I think you're just being a narrowminded prick with his head up his arse who just likes hating everything because it isn't what you want or because it's different.

1. Star wars actually gave context at first. This didn’t.

2. Last I checked, I hate hating things.

3. @__Mine__ being the only smart one on here is right. 

While it didn't need to get hostile, Mineshaft has a fair point. What he's saying is that it's hard to get people interested in the future of your series if you don't explain/show why they should be interested. Star Wars gets you interested in the rest of the movie because you're put right into the action. You may not know who anyone is, or why they're fighting, but there's immediately clear good guys and bad guys and a fight to be interested in. The Matrix gets you interested in the rest of the movie because Neo is sent some ominous messages through how computer that call him to action. No explanation is needed as to who this is or what it's all for, of course, but there's already a hook for us to get caught on. This strip, by contrast, doesn't immediately give us something to follow. We only know this character isn't supposed to be in this place because you had to explain when someone got confused. It isn't immediately evident what they're even screaming at.

It's not a bad idea for a comic series of course, and you've got characters. I really think the problem could be solved simply by having a page instead of a 3-panel strip, or just a few more panels, enough to at least explain that they've clearly been taken from their normal atmosphere and get us invested in the characters themselves.

That's just my take. Be nice to each other please, none of you are truly wrong. ?