Fred in the Mine

Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Hey, that's actually pretty good for your first animation!

All you gotta do now is keep watching tutorials, listen to others' advice, and practice!

My advice is to work on wider camera angles to make it feel less claustrophobic, more use of Field of View, and using more transitions to make sure the animation is as smooth as possible!

Here's some more information for you. I'm putting it in a spoiler so I don't flood the comment section.

Spoiler

As for audio, I suggest downloading this pack of Minecraft sounds by Voxy. All you have to do is create an audio track and import the sounds in Mine-imator.

Here's what I think is one of the most important videos you can watch for Mine-imator. Learning this earlier really helps your animation and it's so easy to do. It unlocks the doors to tons of ideas and possibilities. I'll shut up now and let you go. 

Welcome to the forums! Have a great day.

Not bad for your first animation.

A few key things I'd work on tho:

- Fred could easily have walked on the wooden part to his left which creates kind of a plothole as he could've just walked to the diamonds.
- Sound, Besides visuals, audio is pretty much 50% of your viewing experience so it's best to work in some sounds. Mine imator has a built in sound timeline you can use, or you can use editing programs like Sony vegas or adobe premiere, tho those take a bit of time to adjust to.

It's pretty good for a beginning animation, there's an (albeit simple) understandable plot and the character has a goal/premise, and for a first animation it's pretty clear what the story is you're trying to show, which is something that a lot of first animations lack. So good job on that :)
 Edit: Also welcome to the forums!

Edited by Keep on Chucking

I'll write down some things you could improve/change:

Lava should actually give some light, aka illuminate the walls of the canyon.

I see you used a default ambient color. Make it darker.

For the glowing diamond ore, try to edit out the stone from the diamond ore texture so only ore remains. Make a surface and put the ore texture so it will line up with the ore in the scenery. Add glow and brightness effects, delete the point light. It'd look 5x better. (I can make the diamond ore texture without stone for you if you want).

The diamond ore block is slightly sticking out from the wall. Visible on 0:40.

In the inventory, you could add a tooltip that the block he's holding is a gravel. Many blocks are similar.

The character is holding the torch, but it is absent in the inventory.

And the torch doesn't emit particles.

To not make the ending bland, I've expected one of these endings, you could use one of them:

- The pickaxe explodes and the impact knocks the character in the void.

- (Optionally: the pickaxe instead of exploding just breaks, make two textures of the pickaxe halves), the character pose stays same, but after a while the character looks at the camera and shrugs.

Overall, it's pretty nice for a first animation, I did not manage to make something similar for 2 years...

Edited by jakubg1

6 hours ago, jakubg1 said:

For the glowing diamond ore, try to edit out the stone from the diamond ore texture so only ore remains. Make a surface and put the ore texture so it will line up with the ore in the scenery. Add glow and brightness effects, delete the point light. It'd look 5x better. (I can make the diamond ore texture without stone for you if you want).

I think this one is too early for him... i mean... at least he made the diamond ore glow though, but it would be great if he managed to do it.

No need to edit out the stone, just use stone block with diamond ore texture slapped on it...

But helping providing him the stoneless ore to him is a great idea, maybe you should also offer him the spider's eye texture as well.. .since it's in a cave.

1 hour ago, XanderTheV said:

I think this one is too early for him... i mean... at least he made the diamond ore glow though, but it would be great if he managed to do it.

No need to edit out the stone, just use stone block with diamond ore texture slapped on it...

But helping providing him the stoneless ore to him is a great idea, maybe you should also offer him the spider's eye texture as well.. .since it's in a cave.

The thing is:

- if the stone wouldn't be edited out it'd be glowing too.

- there's no any spider in the animation.

:) 

12 minutes ago, jakubg1 said:

The thing is:

- if the stone wouldn't be edited out it'd be glowing too.

- there's no any spider in the animation.

:) 

I mean... just put stone block there and slap the glowing ore... or filter out diamond ore in worldloader and put stone block there, then slap the ore. If it's a schematic, cover up the ore with stone blocks.

Or just slap that ore texture anywhere he likes since he didn't break the block.

About the spider, maybe he could make future animations with spiders one day... and no one would suggest glowing eye spiders because you've provided him the eye texture.

You're all really helpful, I hope one day I would be able to make animation that with high standards, I have already begun with a new one and I'm using the tips you all have me to make it look better than the last one, hopefully I can finish it with the school I have at the moment, have a nice day.

-Fred