Which uses more RAM? Cubes or Items?

Frost
Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

Question

7 answers to this question

21 minutes ago, Frost* said:

I understand that, but if the item was a custom texture of a single, white pixel, and I had a cube that was the same size and also white, I would assume they would use the same RAM, unless I'm wrong. If one actually used less RAM for some reason, it would be helpful to know.

It shouldn't matter then. Though if possible, try using an item to combine some cubes as it reduces the amount of timelines.(Which saves RAM, and some FPS during animation playback.)

7 minutes ago, Nimi said:

Using individual cubes in replacement for items will use more RAM. Items get rid of faces that are next to each other in the item model. Example from a diamond sword w/ backfaces enabled.

I understand that, but if the item was a custom texture of a single, white pixel, and I had a cube that was the same size and also white, I would assume they would use the same RAM, unless I'm wrong. If one actually used less RAM for some reason, it would be helpful to know.

1 hour ago, Frost* said:

more faces = more RAM

if it's a 1x1 pixel item, it'll have the same amount of faces as a cube and therefore use the same amount of RAM. this would also apply to any other square items (2x2, 3x3, 4x4, etc.)