Message added by TopicLocker3000

This topic was automatically locked after 6 months of inactivity. If you are the topic owner, please contact a moderator to have it unlocked.

My first uploaded animation! couldn't get it to work from youtube, so you can see it here. If you want to see the better new version, click here.

? thx!

OK guys, i took your (constructive) criticism into account, and remade the video! Hope you like it! ?

wow i post my first animation and i get more attention for it than i ever expected in my life ?

Edited by Draco63

That is way too fast, and making it a loop doesn't help that. The lighting is way too orange, there isn't any lava visible in the scene so it being that orange makes no sense. Also the block physics look really off and the camera shake was unnecessary.

17 minutes ago, Slime said:

That is way too fast, and making it a loop doesn't help that. The lighting is way too orange, there isn't any lava visible in the scene so it being that orange makes no sense. Also the block physics look really off and the camera shake was unnecessary.

1. it's hard to make it slower.

2. there doesn't have to be visible lava, it's just cave lighting.

3. the camera shake is hard to avoid since i had to parent the camera to the character in order to get it to stay put (there was an irritating glitch that made the camera go in a random direction when i let go of it)

and 4. what block physics? it's just supposed to be a quick loop animation of some guy hitting a diamond ore. it's not supposed to be fancy.

and cut me some slack, will ya? it's my first uploaded animation, it isn't supposed to be the most amazing thing ever.

Edited by Draco63

2 minutes ago, Draco63 said:

1. it's hard to make it slower.

2. there doesn't have to be visible lava, it's just cave lighting.

3. the camera shake is hard to avoid since i had to parent the camera to the character in order to get it to stay put (there was an irritating glitch that made the camera go in a random direction when i let go of it)

and 4. what block physics? it's just supposed to be a quick loop animation of some guy hitting a diamond ore. it's not supposed to be fancy.

1. it really isn't. you have to space out the keyframes more and use transitions.
2. That's not cave lighting. a cave isn't naturally bright orange.
3. Turn off Seamless Loop and make sure there aren't any unwanted keyframes
4. The block wobbles and it looks bad imo

1 hour ago, Draco63 said:

and cut me some slack, will ya? it's my first uploaded animation, it isn't supposed to be the most amazing thing ever.

It's criticism. It's supposed to help you create "the most amazing thing ever."

if i may provide my two cents, i do think your first animation is pretty good! 

if i may defend you from the others here, i do think that the speed doesn't really matter here; your character's rapid movement and fast, hard blows against the diamond emphasizes the oomph that you'd put in when breaking diamond ore. if you really wanted to make it slower, though, you could change the tempo in the Projects collapsible menu

as for the lighting, i don't see anything wrong with it. there really doesn't have to be lava; perhaps you were trying to create a warm, calming atmosphere. as long as the lighting is not too saturated or out of place (say, neon green/pink), i think it's totally fine

i do agree that the camera shake is out of place, but it's not that bad; i didn't notice it at first. you might want to get a better mouse, though. seems that the bug you're experiencing is a hardware issue or something. you can also make adjustments using the sliders and dials in the position/rotation menus, if dragging the camera results in the bug happening

block physics are totally fine; it further emphasizes the blows that your character is putting into the block. yes, it doesn't happen in minecraft, but you could say that your animation style features exaggerated movements and actions. again, it's fine

you should check out that SSAO though, it's a bit too heavy. you can change the color to a lighter color or decrease the radius/strength.

i do want to give extra praise for your character's movements though. it looks really fluid even though you only used linear transitions. you could make something even greater once you learn how to use transitions.

the only mistake you made here was making it sound like you weren't accepting the others' criticisms. if you do that on the forums, you're probably going to get downvoted into oblivion. take this upvote, you deserve it

and for everyone else here, it is good that you are providing constructive criticism, but we must also remember that we should be praising animators on what they got right. i do feel that the criticism here was a bit harsh. after all, this is his first public animation that he put in random/test animations and all he's getting is flak for what is, in my opinion, other people's personal preference on what an animation should be. both praise and criticism should motivate people to make their next animations objectively better, and i think that this budding animator has already obeyed the majority of objectively good animation technique - certainly better than a lot of other people's first animations.

1 minute ago, Slime said:

True true, but sometimes being 100% positive isnt any better than being 100% negative.

there needs to be a balance between positives and negatives. having only positive feedback will discourage one from being better; having only negative will discourage one from trying at all. having both will allow one to know what they did right so they can do it again and fix anything they might have got wrong so that they will be better in the next one

1 minute ago, Kwazedilla said:

there needs to be a balance between positives and negatives. having only positive feedback will discourage one from being better; having only negative will discourage one from trying at all. having both will allow one to know what they did right so they can do it again and fix anything they might have got wrong so that they will be better in the next one

Agreed.

20 hours ago, 9redwoods said:

It's criticism. It's supposed to help you create "the most amazing thing ever."

i'm not saying i'm rejecting constructive criticism. i'm just saying i'm new to animation, and i just need some practice. what i mean by that is, i already see most of the problems in my animation, but i have still come pretty far from the ones i decided not to upload. if you think this one was bad, you should have seen all my others. ?

19 hours ago, Kwazedilla said:

if i may provide my two cents, i do think your first animation is pretty good! 

if i may defend you from the others here, i do think that the speed doesn't really matter here; your character's rapid movement and fast, hard blows against the diamond emphasizes the oomph that you'd put in when breaking diamond ore. if you really wanted to make it slower, though, you could change the tempo in the Projects collapsible menu

as for the lighting, i don't see anything wrong with it. there really doesn't have to be lava; perhaps you were trying to create a warm, calming atmosphere. as long as the lighting is not too saturated or out of place (say, neon green/pink), i think it's totally fine

i do agree that the camera shake is out of place, but it's not that bad; i didn't notice it at first. you might want to get a better mouse, though. seems that the bug you're experiencing is a hardware issue or something. you can also make adjustments using the sliders and dials in the position/rotation menus, if dragging the camera results in the bug happening

block physics are totally fine; it further emphasizes the blows that your character is putting into the block. yes, it doesn't happen in minecraft, but you could say that your animation style features exaggerated movements and actions. again, it's fine

you should check out that SSAO though, it's a bit too heavy. you can change the color to a lighter color or decrease the radius/strength.

i do want to give extra praise for your character's movements though. it looks really fluid even though you only used linear transitions. you could make something even greater once you learn how to use transitions.

the only mistake you made here was making it sound like you weren't accepting the others' criticisms. if you do that on the forums, you're probably going to get downvoted into oblivion. take this upvote, you deserve it

and for everyone else here, it is good that you are providing constructive criticism, but we must also remember that we should be praising animators on what they got right. i do feel that the criticism here was a bit harsh. after all, this is his first public animation that he put in random/test animations and all he's getting is flak for what is, in my opinion, other people's personal preference on what an animation should be. both praise and criticism should motivate people to make their next animations objectively better, and i think that this budding animator has already obeyed the majority of objectively good animation technique - certainly better than a lot of other people's first animations.

TYSM!!! also, i'm still pretty new to MI. i tried to make it as good as possible, but half of the issues in it are because i still don't really know my way around the program. i mean, tempo? haven't found that yet. SSAO? that either. and sorry if it sounded like i wasn't accepting criticism, i just feel like criticism, in order to sound constructive instead of just unkind, should have at least one compliment on what was right in the animation (i mean, unless it was REALLY awful or offensive, but yeah.) oh, and btw, i didn't just use linear transitions. i try to make my characters' movements as natural and realistic as possible. and yeah, i know about the downvotes. ?

again, thanks! ?